- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. (1) The Authority shall consist of not less than 7 and not more than 11 members appointed by the Secretary of State, and at least half of the members excluding the chairman shall be appointed following consultations with such representatives of local government in London as appear to the Secretary of State to be appropriate.
(2) The Secretary of State shall appoint a chairman and may appoint a deputy chairman of the Authority.
2. The following provisions of Schedule 13 to the 1985 Act shall have effect as if references to a residuary body included references to the authority—
(a)Paragraph 1 (status)
(b)Paragraph 2 (tenure of office of members)
(c)Paragraph 3 (remuneration etc. of members)
(d)Paragraph 4 (House of Commons disqualification)
(e)Paragraph 5 (proceedings)
(f)Paragraph 10 (reports and information)
(g)Paragraphs 12, 13(g), 13(h), 13(i), 14(a) and (b) and 16 (application of local government provisions).
3. (1) The application of the Authority’s seal shall be authenticated by the signature of the Chairman or of a member or officer of the Authority authorised either generally or specially by the Authority for that purpose.
(2) Any document purporting to be a document duly executed under the seal of the Authority shall be received in evidence and shall, unless the contrary is proved, be deemed to be so executed.
4. Without prejudice to any powers of the Authority to acquire or to dispose of land as an investment of the superannuation fund, the Authority may—
(a)acquire by agreement any land required by it for carrying out its functions; or
(b)subject to any directions given to it by the Secretary of State, dispose of any land held by it in such manner as it wishes.
5. Subject as mentioned below, the following provisions of the Local Government Act 1972 shall have effect as if references to a joint authority included references to the Authority—
(a)section 101(1)(a) (arrangements for discharge of functions);
(b)section 151 (financial administration);
(c)section 228(2) and (3) (inspection of documents);
(d)section 234 (authentication of documents); and
(e)paragraph 22(1) and (3) of Schedule 13 (borrowing and funds)(1), but not insofar as it applies to paragraphs 1(a), 2(1)(b) to (e), 5, 6, 8, 9, 12 to 15 and 18 of that Schedule.
6. The following provisions shall have effect as if references to a joint authority included references to the Authority—
(a)section 1(4) of the Local Authorities (Goods and Services) Act 1970(2);
(b)section 25(1)(c) of the Local Government Act 1974(3);
(c)regulation 1(3) of the Local Authority (Mortgages) Regulations 1974(4);
(d)section 71(1)(j) of the Local Government, Planning and Land Act 1980(5); and
(e)sections 6(2) and 9(1)(a) of the Local Government Act 1986(6).
7. (1) Section 78(1), (2) and (3) of the 1985 Act shall have effect as if references to a residuary body included references to the Authority.
(2) The Secretary of State may give directions to the Authority requiring it—
(a)to keep accounts in respect of such matters and records relating to them as may be specified in the direction;
(b)to comply with such methods and principles as may be so specified with respect to any accounts or records kept by them;
(c)to make such provision as he may specify for the exercise of any rights of public inspection; and
(d)to take such steps as he may specify to inform the public of any such rights as are referred to in sub-paragraph (c);and it shall be the duty of the Authority to comply with any such directions.
(3) Subject to sub-paragraph (4) below, section 79 of the 1985 Act shall have effect as if references to a residuary body included references to the Authority.
(4) Notwithstanding sub-section (2) of section 79 of the 1985 Act, section 22(2) of the Local Government Finance Act 1982(7) (power of Secretary of State to direct extraordinary audit) shall apply in relation to the Authority and its accounts.
8. The Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960(8) shall not apply to the Authority.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: