- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format. The electronic version of this UK Statutory Instrument has been contributed by Westlaw and is taken from the printed publication. Read more
5. (1) Subject to the provisions of this section, the existing laws shall, notwithstanding the revocation of the existing Orders or the establishment of a Republic in Kiribati, continue in force on and after Independence Day as if they had been made in pursuance of this Order.
(2) The existing laws and any Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom or Order of Her Majesty in Council (other than Kiribati Act 1979 or this Order) having effect as part of the law of Kiribati or any part thereof immediately before Independence Day shall be construed with such modifications, adaptations, qualifications and exceptions as may be necessary to bring them into conformity with this Order.
(3) The Beretitenti may by order made at any time before 12th July 1980 make such amendments to—
(a)the existing laws; or
(b)any Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom or Order of Her Majesty in Council (other than the Kiribati Act 1979 or this Order) having effect as part of the law of Kiribati or any part thereof immediately before Independence Day,
as may appear to him to be necessary or expedient for bringing those laws or that Act of Parliament or Order into conformity with the provisions of this Order or otherwise for giving effect or enabling effect to be given to those provisions.
(4) Where any matter that falls to be prescribed or otherwise provided for under the Constitution by the Maneaba ni Maungatabu or by any other authority or person is prescribed or provided for by or under an existing law (including any amendment to any such law made under this section) or is otherwise prescribed or provided for immediately before Independence Day by or under the existing Orders, that prescription or provision shall, as from Independence Day, have effect (with such modifications, adaptations, qualifications and exceptions as may be necessary to bring it into conformity with the Kiribati Act 1979 and this Order) as if it had been made under the Constitution by the Maneaba or, as the case may be, by the other authority or person.
(5) The provisions of this section shall be without prejudice to any powers conferred by this Order or any other law upon any person or authority to make provision for any matter, including the amendment or repeal of any existing law.
(6) For the purposes of this section, the expression “the existing laws” means
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: