- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). The electronic version of this UK Statutory Instrument has been contributed by Westlaw and is taken from the printed publication. Read more
11.—(1) Quarantine animals shall be detained at the approved quarantine premises specified in the import licence for the period so specified, or for such longer period as the appropriate Minister may, for the purpose of preventing the introduction or spreading of disease into or within Great Britain, in any particular case direct.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3) below, imported animals, other than quarantine animals, shall be rested at an approved reception centre specified in the import licence for a period of 10 hours after their arrival at that centre.
(3) Where, having regard to the physical condition of any imported animals at an approved reception centre, or to the circumstances in which those animals have been carried thereto or are to be carried therefrom, a veterinary inspector considers that, in relation to those animals, the rest period referred to in paragraph (2) above should be increased, or could reasonably be reduced, he may—
(a)require that those animals be rested for such period in excess of 10 hours as he may consider to be appropriate in the circumstances; or
(b)permit those animals to be rested for such shorter period (not being a period of less than 2 hours in any case) as he may specify.
(4) During their detention in approved premises, imported animals shall—
(a)be dealt with in accordance with any requirements contained in the import licence relating to them; and
(b)without prejudice to sub-paragraph (a) above, be subjected to such examinations, tests, treatment and marking, and shall in all other respects be dealt with, as a veterinary inspector may consider necessary.
(5) No person shall remove or attempt to remove any animal from approved premises, or cause or permit the removal or attempted removal of any animal therefrom, before the time specified in a licence issued in respect of that animal by a veterinary inspector; and any such licence may contain such conditions as a veterinary inspector may see fit to impose for the purpose of preventing the introduction or spreading of disease into or within Great Britain, and shall—
(a)in the case of quarantine animals, certify that the animals to which it relates have completed the period of detention in quarantine required in respect of those animals under the foregoing provisions of this Article, the period in question to be indicated in the licence; and
(b)in the case of animals which are to be moved from the approved premises, specify the premises to which they are to be moved.
(6) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (5) above, a licence under that paragraph shall not be required for the movement of animals from approved premises direct to a vessel or aircraft for export from Great Britain if—
(a)the premises are, in addition to being approved premises for the purposes of this order, an export quarantine station within the meaning of section 36 of the Act; or
(b)the animals are being exported in accordance with the requirements of a notice served under any provision of this order.
(7) Nothing in the foregoing provisions of this Article shall be construed as requiring a veterinary inspector to issue a licence, or to discharge any other function under those provisions, at an unreasonable hour of the day or night.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: