- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format. The electronic version of this UK Statutory Instrument has been contributed by Westlaw and is taken from the printed publication. Read more
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
29th November 1965
Laid before Parliament
3rd December 1965
Coming into Operation
6th December 1965
The Minister of Labour in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 50 of the Redundancy Payments Act 1965 and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf hereby makes the following Regulations:—
1. (1) These Regulations may be cited as the Redundancy Payments Termination of Employment Regulations 1965 and shall come into operation on 6th December 1965.
(2) These Regulations shall not extend to Scotland.
2. The Interpretation Act 1889 applies to the interpretation of these Regulations as it applies to the interpretation of an Act of Parliament.
3. (1) Subject to the provisions of paragraph (2) of this Regulation, the provisions of the Redundancy Payments Act 1965 shall have effect—
(a)in relation to—
(i)the chief constable of a police force who by virtue of section 58 of the Police Act 1964 is transferred to, and becomes a member of, another police force, or
(ii)the chief officer or assistant chief officer of a fire brigade maintained by a fire authority under the Fire Services Act 1947 who by virtue of an order under section 5 or section 6 thereof or under Part II of the Local Government Act 1958 is transferred to, and becomes a member of another fire brigade, but
(b)not having accepted a fresh appointment in that force or brigade ceases, at a time specified in the said section 58 or order, to be a member of that force or brigade,
as if the cessation of his membership of that force or brigade by virtue of that section or order were dismissal by his employer by reason of redundancy.
(2) For the purposes of the application by virtue of this Regulation of the Redundancy Payments Act 1965 to the chief constable of a police force—
(a)the said Act of 1965 and this Regulation shall have effect as if he was an employee, and the police authority of that police force was his employer, and his officer was employment within the meaning of section 25(1) of that Act; and any reference to “employment”, “employee” or “employer” in any provision of the Contracts of Employment Act 1963 applied for the purposes of the said Act of 1965
(b)any reference in the said Act of 1963 or 1965 to a contract of employment shall be construed as a reference to the terms and conditions under which he is employed;
(c)where a police authority is not a body corporate, paragraph 10(3) of Schedule 1 to the said Act of 1963 shall apply as if it were a body corporate.
R. J. Gunter
Minister of Labour
Dated 29th November 1965
These Regulations apply, with the necessary modifications, the Redundancy Payments Act 1965 to a chief constable or a chief or assistant chief officer of a fire brigade who becomes redundant as a result of an amalgamation of police forces or combination of fire brigades.