- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format. The electronic version of this UK Statutory Instrument has been contributed by Westlaw and is taken from the printed publication. Read more
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
25th November 1965
Laid before Parliament
3rd December 1965
Coming into Operation
6th December 1965
The Minister of Labour in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 49 of the Redundancy Payments Act 1965 and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf hereby makes the following Regulations:—
1. (1) These Regulations may be cited as the Redundancy Payments Office Holders Regulations 1965 and shall come into operation on 6th December 1965.
(2) These Regulations shall not extend to Scotland.
2. The Interpretation Act 1889 applies to the interpretation of these Regulations as it applies to the interpretation of an Act of Parliament.
3. (1) Subject to the provisions of paragraph (2) of this Regulation, the provisions of the Redundancy Payments Act 1965 shall have effect in relation to each of the employments specified in paragraph (3) of this Regulation, other than an employment of a description falling within paragraphs (a) to (d) of section 41(1) of that Act or employment such that redundancy fund contributions are not payable under Part II thereof in respect of persons engaged therein, as if—
(a)it were employment within the meaning of section 25(1) thereof, and
(b)any person engaged in such employment were an employee within the meaning of the said section 25(1), and
(c)the person who is, or is treated as, his employer for the purposes of the National Insurance Acts, as defined in section 36(1) of the said Act of 1965, were his employer within the meaning of the said section 25(1);
and any reference to “employment,” “employee” or “employer” in any provision of the Contracts of Employment Act 1963 applied for the purposes of the said Act of 1965
(2) For the purpose of the application by virtue of this Regulation of the said Act of 1965 to a person who is not employed under a contract of employment any reference in the said Act of 1963 or 1965—
(a)to a contract of employment shall be construed as a reference to the terms and conditions under which he is employed;
(b)to a notice given by the employer terminating the contract of employment shall be construed as including a notice terminating the employment given by any person empowered to give such a notice.
(3) The employments to which the said Act of 1965 applies are as follows:—
(a)clerk of the peace or deputy clerk of the peace;
(c)constable of the British Airports Authority constabulary;
(d)superintendent registrar or deputy superintendent registrar, registrar or deputy registrar of births and deaths;
(e)rent officer or deputy rent officer appointed under the Rent Act 1965;
(f)medical inspector of aliens appointed under the Aliens Order 1953(1) or medical inspector appointed under the Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962.
R. J. Gunter
Minister of Labour
Dated 25th November 1965
These Regulations apply, with the necessary modifications, the Redundancy Payments Act 1965 to the office holders specified therein.
(1953 I, p. 94).
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: