- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format. The electronic version of this UK Statutory Instrument has been contributed by Westlaw and is taken from the printed publication. Read more
19. (1) Subject to the following provisions of this Article, where the death of a member of the Merchant Navy is directly attributable to a qualifying injury sustained or detention suffered by reason of his service as a mariner in a British ship and his funeral is carried out privately at the expense of any person, a funeral grant not exceeding £25 may be awarded in respect of the expense incurred by that person.
(2) A funeral grant under this Article shall be reduced by the amount of any payment out of public funds which has been or will be made in respect of the expenses incurred in connection with the funeral.
(3) Except where the Minister in any special case otherwise directs, a funeral grant under this Article shall not be awarded unless an application for that award is made within 3 months from the date of the death of the member of the Merchant Navy.
(4) Any reference in the Naval Order as applied by this Scheme to a gratuity shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be treated as including a reference to a grant under this Article.