- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format. The electronic version of this UK Statutory Instrument has been contributed by Westlaw and is taken from the printed publication. Read more
11th June 1951
Laid before Parliament
14th June 1951
Coming into Operation
18th June 1951
Whereas by subsection (3) of section five of the Coinage Act, 1946, (hereinafter referred to as “the Act of 1946”) it is provided that the Treasury may by regulations make provision for modifications consequential on the provisions of that Act in provisions relating to silver coin of other enactments:
And Whereas the Carriers Act, 1830, makes provision for limiting the liability of a common carrier for loss of or injury to certain specified articles, including silver coin of this realm, delivered to him for carriage:
And Whereas it is expedient that the provisions of the Carriers Act, 1830, shall apply to coin of cupro-nickel issued by the Mint in accordance with the provisions of the Act of 1946 as they apply to silver coin of this realm:
Now, therefore, the Treasury, in pursuance of subsection (3) of section five of the Act of 1946, and of all other powers enabling them in that behalf, hereby make the following Regulations:—
1. The reference to silver coin of this realm in section one of the Carriers Act, 1830, shall include a reference to coin of cupro-nickel issued by the Mint in accordance with the provisions of the Act of 1946, and to coin of any other metal or mixture of metals specified in any proclamation made under the power conferred by paragraph (c) of section three of that Act.
2. (1) References in these Regulations to any enactment shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be construed as references to that enactment as amended by or under any subsequent enactment.
(2) The Interpretation Act, 1889, shall apply to the interpretation of these Regulations as it applies to the interpretation of an Act of Parliament.
3. (1) These Regulations may be cited as the Cupro-nickel Coins (Carriers' Liability) Regulations, 1951.
(2) These Regulations shall come into force on the 18th day of June, 1951.
R. J. Taylor
H. W. Bowden
Two of the Lords Commissioners of His Majesty's Treasury
Dated this Eleventh day of June, 1951