Part I The teaching profession
Chapter I The General Teaching Councils
The General Teaching Council for England
1. The General Teaching Council for England.
Functions of the General Teaching Council for England
2. Advisory functions of General Teaching Council for England.
3. Registration of teachers.
4. Regulations relating to registration.
4A. Appeals against refusal of registration
5. Code of practice for registered teachers.
6. Disciplinary powers of Council in relation to registered teachers.
6A. Power to promote teaching profession
7. Additional and ancillary functions of Council.
The General Teaching Council for Wales
8. The General Teaching Council for Wales.
Functions of the General Teaching Council for Wales
9. Functions of General Teaching Council for Wales: general.
10. Further functions of General Teaching Council for Wales in relation to teachers.
11. Registration requirement for teachers at schools.
12. Deduction of fees from salaries, etc.
13. Consultation about qualified teacher status.
14. Supply of information relating to teachers: general.
15. Supply of information following dismissal, resignation, &c.
15A. Supply of information by contractor, agency, &c.
The General Teaching Council for Scotland
16. Duty to have regard to needs of disabled persons.
17. Representation of special educational needs teachers on General Teaching Council for Scotland.
Chapter II HEAD TEACHERS
18. Qualifications of head teachers.
Chapter III TEACHER TRAINING
19. Requirement to serve induction period.
Inspection of teacher training institutions
20. Inspection of institutions training teachers for schools.
21. Inspection of institutions training teachers for schools: Scotland.
Part II Financial provision for higher and further education
Chapter I ENGLAND AND WALES
22. New arrangements for giving financial support to students.
23. Transfer or delegation of functions relating to student support.
24. Supply of information in connection with student loans.
25. Transitional arrangements.
26. Imposition of conditions as to fees at further or higher education institutions.
Higher education funding
27. Expenditure eligible for funding.
28. Interpretation of Chapter I.
Chapter II SCOTLAND
29. Grants and loans: Scotland.
30. Supply of information in connection with student loans: Scotland.
31. Imposition of conditions as to fees at further and higher education institutions in Scotland.
Part III Right to time off for study or training
32. Right of young persons to time off for study or training.
33. Further provisions as to time off for study or training.
Part IV Miscellaneous and general
Inspection of vocational training, etc: Wales
34. Inspection of vocational training by Her Majesty’s chief inspector of Education and Training in Wales or Prif Arolygydd Ei Mawrhydi dros Addysg a Hyfforddiant yng Nghymru.
35. Inspection of careers services by Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Education and Training in Wales or Prif Arolygydd Ei Mawrhydi dros Addysg a Hyfforddiant yng Nghymru.
35A. Inspection of other careers services etc. in Wales.
Funding Councils: England, Wales and Scotland
36. Power of funding councils in England and Wales to secure provision of certain further education.
37. Joint exercise of functions of funding councils in Scotland.
38. Scottish Further Education Funding Council: “relevant body” for purposes of s. 19(5) of Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
Further and higher education institutions: England and Wales
39. Unauthorised use of “university” in title of educational institution, etc.
40. University college, etc., not to be treated as university.
41. Charitable status of further and higher education corporations.
42. Orders and regulations.
43. General interpretation.
44. Minor and consequential amendments and repeals.
45. Northern Ireland.
46. Short title, commencement and extent.
General Teaching Council for England
Status of Council
1.The Council shall not be regarded as the servant or...
2.(1) The Council may, subject to sub-paragraph (3), do anything...
Chairman and members of Council
3.(1) Regulations may make provision with respect to—
Salaries, allowances, pensions and other payments
4.(1) The Council— (a) shall pay to their members such...
5.(1) The Council may (subject to sub-paragraph (5)) appoint a...
6.(1) The Council, with the consent of the Secretary of...
7.(1) Employment with the Council shall be included among the...
8.The Secretary of State may make grants to the Council...
9.(1) The Council— (a) may establish a committee for any...
Delegation of functions
10.(1) The Council may authorise the chairman, the chief officer...
11.(1) The following persons, namely— (a) two representatives of the...
12.The validity of the Council’s proceedings shall not be affected...
13.Subject to the preceding provisions of this Schedule, the Council...
14.(1) It shall be the duty of the Council—
15.The Council— (a) shall make an annual report to the...
Application of seal and proof of instruments
16.The application of the seal of the Council shall be...
17.Every document purporting to be an instrument made or issued...
18.Power to amend Schedule
Disciplinary powers of Council
Investigation, hearing and determination of disciplinary cases
1.(1) Regulations may make provision for and in connection with...
Disciplinary orders: general
2.(1) Regulations may make provision for and in connection with...
Conditional registration orders
3.(1) Where a conditional registration order is made in relation...
4.(1) Where a suspension order is made in relation to...
5.(1) Where a prohibition order is made in relation to...
Appeals against disciplinary orders
6.(1) Regulations shall make provision for conferring on a person...
7.(1) Regulations may make provision for such incidental and supplementary...
8.(1) In this Schedule— “disciplinary order” has the meaning given...
Minor and consequential amendments
Public Records Act 1958 (c.51)
1.In Schedule 1 to the Public Records Act 1958 (definition...
Superannuation Act 1972 (c.11)
2.In Schedule 1 to the Superannuation Act 1972 (kinds of...
House of Commons Disqualification Act 1975 (c.24)
3.In Part III of Schedule 1 to the House of...
Education (Scotland) Act 1980 (c.44)
4.In section 133 of the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 (regulations)—...
Education (Fees and Awards) Act 1983 (c.40)
5.In section 1(6) of the Education (Fees and Awards) Act...
Education Reform Act 1988 (c.40)
6.In section 232(6) of the Education Reform Act 1988 (orders...
Further and Higher Education Act 1992 (c.13)
7.In section 17 of the Further and Higher Education Act...
8.In section 90(3) of that Act (interpretation), after “ “university””...
Charities Act 1993 (c.10)
9.In section 3 of the Charities Act 1993 (the register...
Employment Rights Act 1996 (c.18)
10.After section 47 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 insert—...
11.In section 48 of that Act (complaints to employment tribunals)—...
12.In section 58 of that Act (right to time off...
13.In section 104 of that Act (assertion of statutory right)...
14.In section 225 of that Act (rights during employment), after...
Education Act 1996 (c.56)
15.In section 578 of the Education Act 1996 (meaning of...