Part I Planning Authorities
1. Local planning authorities: general.
2. Joint planning boards.
2A.The Mayor of London: applications of potential strategic importance
2B.Section 2A: supplementary provisions
2C.Matters reserved for subsequent approval
2D.Further provision about orders under section 2A
2E.Section 2A and planning obligations under section 106
3. Joint planning committee for Greater London.
4. National Parks.
4A. National Parks with National Park authorities.
5. The Broads.
6. Enterprise zones.
7. Urban development areas.
8. Housing action areas.
8A. The Homes and Communities Agency.
9. Power to make consequential and supplementary provision about authorities.
Chapter I Unitary Development Plans: Metropolitan Areas including London
10. Application of Chapter I to Greater London and metropolitan counties.
10A. Application of Chapter I in relation to Wales.
11. Survey of planning areas.
Preparation and adoption of unitary development plans
12. Preparation of unitary development plan.
12A. Urban development corporations.
13. Public participation.
14. Withdrawal of unitary development plan.
15. Adoption of unitary development plan by local planning authority.
16. Local inquiries.
Secretary of State’s powers concerning plans
17. Direction to reconsider proposals.
18. Calling in of unitary development plan for approval by Secretary of State.
19. Approval of unitary development plan by Secretary of State.
20. Local inquiry, public examination and consultation by Secretary of State.
Alteration of plans
21. Alteration or replacement of unitary development plan.
22. Short procedure for certain alterations and replacements.
Greater London: conformity with spatial development strategy
21A. “Greater London: conformity with spatial development strategy.
23. Joint unitary development plans.
23A. Joint unitary development plans: Wales.
23B. Unitary development plans for National Parks in Wales.
23C. Joint unitary development plans for National Parks in Wales.
24. Disregard of certain representations.
25. Default powers.
26. Regulations and directions.
27. Meaning of “development plan” in Greater London and metropolitan counties.
27A. Meaning of “development plan” in relation to Wales.
28. Commencement of Chapter I: transitional provisions.
28A. Application of Chapter I in relation to Wales: transitional provisions.
Chapter II Structure and Local Plans: Non-Metropolitan Areas
29. Application of Chapter II to non-metropolitan areas in England.
30. Survey of planning areas.
31. Structure plans: continuity, form and content.
32. Alteration and replacement of structure plans.
34.Withdrawal of proposals for alteration and replacement of structure plans.
35.Adoption of proposals.
35A.Calling in of proposals for approval by Secretary of State.
35B. Examination in public.
35C.Duties to notify authorities responsible for local plans
37.Minerals local plans.
38. Waste policies.
39.Alteration and replacement of local plans.
41. Powers of Secretary of State to secure adequate publicity and consultation.
42. Objections: local inquiry or other hearing.
43. Adoption of proposals.
44. Calling in of proposals for approval by Secretary of State.
45. Approval of proposals by Secretary of State.
Conformity between plans
46. Conformity between plans.
47. Alteration of structure plan.
48. Local plan to prevail in cases of conflict with structure plan.
49. Disregarding of representations with respect to development authorised by or under other enactments.
50. Joint structure and local plans.
51. Default powers.
51A. Urban development corporations.
52. Reviews of plans in enterprise zones.
53. Supplementary provisions as to structure and local plans.
54. Meaning of “development plan” outside Greater London and the metropolitan counties.
Chapter III General
54A. Status of development plans.
Part III Control over development
Meaning of development
55. Meaning of “development” and “new development”.
56. Time when development begun.
Requirement for planning permission
57. Planning permission required for development.
58. Granting of planning permission: general.
59. Development orders: general.
60. Permission granted by development order.
61. Development orders: supplementary provisions.
Local development orders
61A.Local development orders
61B.Intervention by Secretary of State or National Assembly
61C.Permission granted by local development order
61D.Effect of revision or revocation of development order on incomplete development
Applications for planning permission
62. Applications for planning permission.
63. Applications in connection with existing buildings and uses.
64. Applications to determine whether planning permission required.
Publicity for applications
65. Notice etc. of applications for planning permission.
66.Notification of applications to owners and agricultural tenants.
67. Notification of applications for planning permission for mineral working.
68.Further provisions as to certificates under sections 65 to 67.
69. Register of applications etc
Determination of applications
70. Determination of applications: general considerations.
70A.Power to decline to determine subsequent application.
70B.Power to decline to determine overlapping application
71. Consultations in connection with determinations under s. 70.
71A.Assessment of environmental effects.
72. Conditional grant of planning permission.
73. Determination of applications to develop land without compliance with conditions previously attached.
73A. Planning permission for development already carried out.
74. Directions etc. as to method of dealing with applications.
75. Effect of planning permission.
76. Duty to draw attention to certain provisions for benefit of disabled.
Secretary of State’s powers as respects planning applications and decisions
76A.Major infrastructure projects
76B.Major infrastructure projects: inspectors
77. Reference of applications to Secretary of State.
78. Right to appeal against planning decisions and failure to take such decisions.
78A.Appeal made: functions of local planning authorities
79. Determination of appeals.
80. Review of planning decisions where compensation claimed.
81. Provisions supplementary to s. 80.
Simplified planning zones
82. Simplified planning zones.
83. Making of simplified planning zone schemes.
84. Simplified planning zone schemes: conditions and limitations on planning permission.
85. Duration of simplified planning zone scheme.
86. Alteration of simplified planning zone scheme.
87. Exclusion of certain descriptions of land or development.
Enterprise zone schemes
88. Planning permission for development in enterprise zones.
89. Effect on planning permission of modification or termination of scheme.
Deemed planning permission
90. Development with government authorisation.
Duration of planning permission
91. General condition limiting duration of planning permission.
92. Outline planning permission.
93. Provisions supplementary to ss. 91 and 92.
94. Termination of planning permission by reference to time limit: completion notices.
95. Effect of completion notice.
96. Power of Secretary of State to serve completion notices.
Non-material changes to planning permission
96A.Power to make non-material changes to planning permission
Revocation and modification of planning permission
97. Power to revoke or modify planning permission.
98. Procedure for s. 97 orders: opposed cases.
99. Procedure for s. 97 orders: unopposed cases.
100. Revocation and modification of planning permission by the Secretary of State.
References to Planning Inquiry Commission
101. Power to refer certain planning questions to Planning Inquiry Commission.
Other controls over development
102. Orders requiring discontinuance of use or alteration or removal of buildings or works.
103. Confirmation by Secretary of State of s. 102 orders.
104. Power of the Secretary of State to make s. 102 orders.
105. Duty of mineral planning authorities to review mineral workings.
106. Planning obligations.
106A. Modification and discharge of planning obligations.
106C.Legal challenges relating to development consent obligations
Part IV Compensation for Effects of Certain Orders, Notices, etc.
Compensation for revocation of planning permission, etc.
107. Compensation where planning permission revoked or modified.
108. Compensation for refusal or conditional grant of planning permission formerly granted by development order.
109. Apportionment of compensation for depreciation.
110. Registration of compensation for depreciation.
111. Recovery of compensation under s. 107 on subsequent development.
112. Amount recoverable under s. 111 and provisions for payment or remission of it.
113. Contribution by Secretary of State towards compensation in certain cases.
Compensation for other planning decisions
114. Compensation for planning decisions restricting development other than new development.
115. Compensation in respect of orders under s. 102, etc.
116. Modification of compensation provisions in respect of mineral working etc.
General and supplemental provisions
117. General provisions as to compensation for depreciation under Part IV.
118. Determination of claims for compensation.
119. Scope of Part V.
Right to compensation
120. Right to compensation: general principles.
121. Planning decisions not ranking for compensation.
122. No compensation if certain other development permitted.
123. Further exclusions from compensation.
124. Grant of planning permission treated as subject to notional condition.
Amount of compensation
125. General provisions as to amount of compensation.
126. Assessment of depreciation.
Claims for and payment of compensation
127. General provisions as to claims for compensation.
128. Effect on claims of direction under s. 80.
129. Determination of claims.
130. Payment of compensation.
Recovery of compensation
131. Apportionment of compensation.
132. Registration of compensation.
133. Recovery of compensation on subsequent development.
134. Amount recoverable and provisions for payment or remission of it.
135. Mortgages, rent-charges and settlements.
136. Calculation of value.
Part VI Rights of owners etc. to require purchase of interests
Chapter I Interests affected by planning decisions or orders
Service of purchase notices
137. Circumstances in which purchase notices may be served.
137A.Purchase notices: Crown land
138. Circumstances in which land incapable of reasonably beneficial use.
Duties of authorities on service of purchase notice
139. Action by council on whom purchase notice is served.
140. Procedure on reference of purchase notice to Secretary of State.
141. Action by Secretary of State in relation to purchase notice.
142. Power to refuse to confirm purchase notice where land has restricted use by virtue of previous planning permission.
143. Effect of Secretary of State’s action in relation to purchase notice.
144. Special provisions as to compensation where purchase notice served.
Special provisions for requiring purchase of whole of partially affected agricultural unit
145. Counter-notice requiring purchase of remainder of agricultural unit.
146. Effect of counter-notice under s. 145.
147. Provisions supplemental to ss. 145 and 146.
147A. Application of Chapter I to National Parks.
148. Interpretation of Chapter I.
Chapter II Interests Affected by Planning Proposals: Blight
149. Scope of Chapter II.
150. Notices requiring purchase of blighted land.
151. Counter-notices objecting to blight notices.
152. Further counter-notices where certain proposals have come into force.
153. Reference of objection to Upper Tribunal: general.
154. Effect of valid blight notice.
155. Effect on powers of compulsory acquisition of counter-notice disclaiming intention to acquire.
156. Withdrawal of blight notice.
157. Special provisions as to compensation for acquisitions in pursuance of blight notices.
158. Inclusion in blight notices of requirement to purchase parts of agricultural units unaffected by blight.
159. Objections to s. 158 notices.
160. Effect of notices served by virtue of s. 158.
Personal representatives, mortgagees and partnerships
161. Powers of personal representatives in respect of blight notice.
162. Power of mortgagees to serve blight notice.
163. Prohibition on service of simultaneous notices under ss. 150, 161 and 162.
164. Special provisions as to partnerships.
Miscellaneous and supplementary provisions
165. Power of Secretary of State to acquire land affected by orders relating to new towns etc. where blight notice served.
165A.Power of Secretary of State to acquire land identified in national policy statements where blight notice served
166. Saving for claimant’s right to sell whole hereditament, etc.
167. No withdrawal of constructive notice to treat.
168. Meaning of “owner-occupier” and “resident owner-occupier”.
169.“Appropriate authority” for purposes of Chapter II.
170.“Appropriate enactment” for purposes of Chapter II.
171. General interpretation of Chapter II.
Part VII Enforcement
171A. Expressions used in connection with enforcement.
171B. Time limits.
Planning contravention notices
171C. Power to require information about activities on land.
171D. Penalties for non-compliance with planning contravention notice.
Temporary stop notices
171E.Temporary stop notice
171F.Temporary stop notice: restrictions
171G.Temporary stop notice: offences
171H.Temporary stop notice: compensation
172. Issue of enforcement notice.
173.Contents and effect of notice.
173A.Variation and withdrawal of enforcement notices.
174. Appeal against enforcement notice.
175. Appeals: supplementary provisions.
176. General provisions relating to determination of appeals.
177. Grant or modification of planning permission on appeals against enforcement notices.
178. Execution and cost of works required by enforcement notice.
179. Offence where enforcement notice not complied with.
180. Effect of planning permission, etc., on enforcement or breach of condition notice.
181. Enforcement notice to have effect against subsequent development.
182. Enforcement by the Secretary of State.
183. Stop notices.
184. Stop notices: supplementary provisions.
185. Service of stop notices by Secretary of State.
186. Compensation for loss due to stop notice.
187. Penalties for contravention of stop notice.
Breach of condition
187A. Enforcement of conditions.
187B. Injunctions restraining breaches of planning control.
188. Register of enforcement and stop notices.
Enforcement of orders for discontinuance of use, etc.
189. Penalties for contravention of orders under s. 102 and Schedule 9.
190. Enforcement of orders under s. 102 and Schedule 9.
Certificate of lawful use or development
191. Certificate of lawfulness of existing use or development.
192. Certificate of lawfulness of proposed use or development.
193. Certificates under sections 191 and 192: supplementary provisions.
195. Appeals against refusal or failure to give decision on application.
196. Further provisions as to references and appeals to the Secretary of State.
Rights of entry for enforcement purposes
196A. Rights to enter without warrant.
196B. Right to enter under warrant.
196C. Rights of entry: supplementary provisions.
Part VIII Special Controls
Chapter I Trees
General duty of planning authorities as respects trees
197. Planning permission to include appropriate provision for preservation and planting of trees.
Tree preservation orders
198. Power to make tree preservation orders.
199. Form of and procedure applicable to orders.
200.Tree preservation orders: Forestry Commissioners
201. Provisional tree preservation orders.
202. Power for Secretary of State to make tree preservation orders.
202A.Tree preservation regulations: general
202B.Tree preservation regulations: making of tree preservation orders
202C.Tree preservation regulations: prohibited activities
202D.Tree preservation regulations: consent for prohibited activities
202E.Tree preservation regulations: compensation
202F.Tree preservation regulations: registers
202G.Tree preservation regulations: supplementary
Compensation for loss or damage caused by orders, etc.
203. Compensation in respect of tree preservation orders.
204. Compensation in respect of requirement as to replanting of trees.
205. Determination of compensation claims.
Consequences of tree removal, etc.
206. Replacement of trees.
207. Enforcement of duties as to replacement of trees.
208. Appeals against s. 207 notices.
209. Execution and cost of works required by s. 207 notice.
210. Penalties for non-compliance with tree preservation order.
Trees in conservation areas
211. Preservation of trees in conservation areas.
212. Power to disapply s. 211.
213. Enforcement of controls as respects trees in conservation areas.
214. Registers of s. 211 notices.
Rights of entry
214B.Rights to enter without warrant.
214C.Right to enter under warrant.
214D.Rights of entry: supplementary provisions.
Chapter II Land Adversely Affecting Amenity of Neighbourhood
215. Power to require proper maintenance of land.
216. Penalty for non-compliance with s. 215 notice.
217. Appeal to magistrates’ court against s. 215 notice.
218. Further appeal to the Crown Court.
219. Execution and cost of works required by s. 215 notice.
Chapter III Advertisements
220. Regulations controlling display of advertisements.
221. Power to make different advertisement regulations for different areas.
222. Planning permission not needed for advertisements complying with regulations.
Repayment of expense of removing prohibited advertisements
223. Repayment of expense of removing prohibited advertisements.
Enforcement of control over advertisements
224. Enforcement of control as to advertisements.
225. Power to remove or obliterate placards and posters.
Part IX Acquisition and Appropriation of Land for Planning Purposes, etc.
Acquisition for planning and public purposes
226. Compulsory acquisition of land for development and other planning purposes.
227. Acquisition of land by agreement.
228. Compulsory acquisition of land by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government.
229. Appropriation of land forming part of common, etc.
230. Acquisition of land for purposes of exchange.
231. Power of Secretary of State to require acquisition or development of land.
Appropriation, disposal and development of land held for planning purposes, etc.
232. Appropriation of land held for planning purposes.
233. Disposal by local authorities of land held for planning purposes.
234. Disposal by Secretary of State of land acquired under s. 228.
235. Development of land held for planning purposes.
Extinguishment of certain rights affecting acquired or appropriated land
236. Extinguishment of rights over land compulsorily acquired.
237. Power to override easements and other rights.
238. Use and development of consecrated land.
239. Use and development of burial grounds.
240. Provisions supplemental to ss. 238 and 239.
241. Use and development of open spaces.
242. Overriding of rights of possession.
Constitution of joint body to hold land for planning purposes
243. Constitution of joint body to hold land for planning purposes.
General and supplementary provisions
244. Powers of joint planning boards under Part IX.
244A. Powers of National Park authorities under Part IX.
245. Modification of incorporated enactments for purposes of this Part.
246. Interpretation of Part IX.
Part X Highways
Orders made by Secretary of State
247. Highways affected by development: orders by Secretary of State.
248. Highways crossing or entering route of proposed new highway, etc.
249. Order extinguishing right to use vehicles on highway.
250. Compensation for orders under s. 249.
251. Extinguishment of public rights of way over land held for planning purposes.
252. Procedure for making of orders.
253. Procedure in anticipation of planning permission.
254. Compulsory acquisition of land in connection with highways.
255. Concurrent proceedings in connection with highways.
256. Telecommunication apparatus: orders by Secretary of State.
Orders by other authorities
257. Footpaths and bridleways affected by development: orders by other authorities.
258. Extinguishment of public rights of way over land held for planning purposes.
259. Confirmation of orders made by other authorities.
260. Telecommunication apparatus: orders by or on application of other authorities.
Temporary highway orders: mineral workings
261. Temporary stopping up of highways for mineral workings.
Part XI Statutory Undertakers
262. Meaning of “statutory undertakers”.
263. Meaning of “operational land”.
264. Cases in which land is to be treated as not being operational land.
265. Meaning of “the appropriate Minister”.
Application of Part III to statutory undertakers
266. Applications for planning permission by statutory undertakers.
267. Conditional grants of planning permission.
268. Development requiring authorisation of government department.
269. Revocation or modification of permission to develop operational land.
270. Order requiring discontinuance of use etc. of operational land.
Extinguishment of rights of statutory undertakers, etc.
271. Extinguishment of rights of statutory undertakers: preliminary notices.
272. Extinguishment of rights of telecommunications code system operators: preliminary notices.
273. Notice for same purposes as ss. 271 and 272 but given by undertakers to developing authority.
274. Orders under ss. 271 and 272.
Extension or modification of statutory undertakers’ functions
275. Extension or modification of functions of statutory undertakers.
276. Procedure in relation to orders under s. 275.
277. Relief of statutory undertakers from obligations rendered impracticable.
278. Objections to orders under ss. 275 and 277.
279. Right to compensation in respect of certain decisions and orders.
280. Measure of compensation to statutory undertakers, etc.
281. Exclusion of s. 280 at option of statutory undertakers.
282. Procedure for assessing compensation.
283. Display of advertisements on operational land.
Part XII Validity
284. Validity of development plans and certain orders, decisions and directions.
285. Validity of enforcement notices and similar notices.
286. Challenges to validity on ground of authority’s powers.
287. Proceedings for questioning validity of development plans and certain schemes and orders.
288. Proceedings for questioning the validity of other orders, decisions and directions.
289. Appeals to High Court relating to enforcement notices and notices under s. 207.
290. Appeals to High Court against decisions under s. 64.
291. Special provisions as to decisions relating to statutory undertakers.
292. Special provisions as to orders subject to special parliamentary procedure.
Part XIII Application of Act to Crown Land
292A.Application to the Crown
293. Preliminary definitions.
Application of Act as respects Crown land
293A.Urgent Crown development: application
294. Control of development on Crown land: special enforcement notices.
295. Supplementary provisions as to special enforcement notices.
296. Exercise of powers in relation to Crown land.
296A.Enforcement in relation to the Crown
296B.References to an interest in land
297. Agreements relating to Crown land.
298. Supplementary provisions as to Crown and Duchy interests.
298A.Applications for planning permission by Crown
Provisions relating to anticipated disposal of Crown land
299. Application for planning permission etc. in anticipation of disposal of Crown land.
299A. Crown planning obligations.
300. Tree preservation orders in anticipation of disposal of Crown land.
301. Requirement of planning permission for continuance of use instituted by the Crown.
Enforcement in respect of war-time breaches of planning control by Crown
302. Enforcement in respect of war-time breaches of planning control by the Crown.
Part XIV Financial Provisions
303. Fees for planning applications etc.
303ZA.Fees for appeals
303A. Responsibility of local planning authorities for costs of holding certain inquiries etc.
304. Grants for research and education.
304A.Grants for advice and assistance
305. Contributions by Ministers towards compensation paid by local authorities.
306. Contributions by local authorities and statutory undertakers.
307. Assistance for acquisition of property where objection made to blight notice in certain cases.
308. Recovery from acquiring authorities of sums paid by way of compensation.
309. Recovery from acquiring authorities of sums paid in respect of war-damaged land.
310. Sums recoverable from acquiring authorities reckonable for purposes of grant.
311. Expenses of government departments.
312. Payments under s. 59 of 1947 Act and Parts I and V of 1954 Act.
313. General provision as to receipts of Secretary of State.
314. Expenses of county councils.
Part XV Miscellaneous and General Provisions
Application of Act in special cases
315. Power to modify Act in relation to minerals.
316. Land of interested planning authorities and development by them.
316A. Local planning authorities as statutory undertakers.
317. The British Coal Corporation.
318. Ecclesiastical property.
319.The Isles of Scilly.
Determination of procedure
319A.Determination of procedure for certain proceedings
Local inquiries and other hearings
320. Local inquiries.
321. Planning inquiries to be held in public subject to certain exceptions.
321A.Appointed representative: no inquiry
321B.Special provision in relation to planning inquiries: Wales
322. Orders as to costs of parties where no local inquiry held.
322A. Orders as to costs: supplementary.
322B. Local inquiries in London: special provision as to costs in certain cases.
323. Procedure on certain appeals and applications.
Rights of entry
324. Rights of entry.
325. Supplementary provisions as to rights of entry.
325A.Rights of entry: Crown land
Miscellaneous and general provisions
326. Assumptions as to planning permission in determining value of interests in land.
327. Recovery on subsequent development of payments in respect of war-damaged land.
327A.Applications: compliance with requirements
328. Settled land and land of universities and colleges.
329. Service of notices.
329A.Service of notices on the Crown
330. Power to require information as to interests in land.
330A.Information as to interests in Crown land
331. Offences by corporations.
332. Combined applications.
333. Regulations and orders.
334. Licensing planning areas.
335. Act not excluded by special enactments.
337. Short title, commencement and extent.
Local Planning Authorities: Distribution of Functions
1.(1) In this Schedule “county matter” means in relation to...
2.The functions of a local planning authority—
Planning and special control
3.(1) The functions of a local planning authority of determining—...
4.(1) Each of the following applications, namely—
5.(1) The Secretary of State may include in a development...
6.(1) A development order may also include provision requiring a...
7.(1) A local planning authority must not determine an application...
8.(1) A local planning authority who have the function of...
9.(1) The functions of local planning authorities under the provisions...
10.Elsewhere than in a National Park, the functions of a...
11.(1) The functions of a local planning authority of—
12.In sections 178(1), 181(4)(b) and 190(2) to (5) any reference...
12A.The functions of a local planning authority under section 187B...
13.(1) In the case of any area for which there...
14.The functions of local planning authorities under sections 69, 211,...
15.(1) The copy of the notice required to be served...
16.(1) Claims for payment of compensation under section 107 (including...
17.Claims for payment of compensation under a tree preservation order...
18.The local planning authority by whom compensation is to be...
19.(1) Elsewhere than in a metropolitan county or a National...
20.(1) The local planning authority whom the Secretary of State...
21.(1) Subject to sub-paragraph (2), the provisions of this Schedule...
Distribution of Local Planning Authority Functions: Wales
1.(1) Where a local planning authority are not the local...
2.(1) A local planning authority who have the function of...
3.Paragraphs 4 to 10 apply only in relation to any...
4.In sections 178(1), 181(4)(b) and 190(2), (3) and (5) any...
5.The functions of a local planning authority under section 187B...
6.Where a local planning authority have made a tree preservation...
7.(1) The copy of the notice required to be served...
8.(1) Claims for payment of compensation under section 107 (including...
9.Claims for payment of compensation under a tree preservation order...
10.The local planning authority by whom compensation is to be...
11.In relation to land in the area of a joint...
Development Plans: Transitional Provisions
Part I The Metropolitan Counties
Publicity in connection with local plan
5.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Pending proposals by metropolitan county council
6.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Part IA Wales
Continuation of structure, local and old development plans
1.(1) Every existing plan which relates to any part of...
Revocation of structure plan
2.(1) Where under Chapter I of Part II of this...
Incorporation of current policy in unitary development plan
3.(1) This paragraph applies where— (a) a unitary development plan...
Meaning of ”local plan”
4.In this Part of this Schedule, “ local plan ”...
Part II Greater London
Surveys and local plans
7.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
8.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
9.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
10.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
11.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
12.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
13.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
14.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
15.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
16.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Incorporation of current local plan in unitary development plan
17.(1) Sub-paragraph (2) applies where— (a) a local plan is...
18.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Part III Old Development Plans
Development plans for compensation purposes
5.Where there is no local plan in force in a...
Discontinuance of old development plan on adoption of local plan
6.Subject to paragraph 8, on the adoption or approval of...
7.The Secretary of State may by order direct that any...
8.If the Secretary of State makes an order under paragraph...
9.Subject to paragraph 10, the Secretary of State may by...
10.Before making an order with respect to a development plan...
Development Not Constituting New Development
Part I Development Not Ranking For Compensation Under s. 114
1.The carrying out of— (a) the rebuilding, as often as...
2.The use as two or more separate dwellinghouses of any...
Part II Development ranking for compensation under s. 114
3.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
4.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Part III Supplementary Provisions
9.Where after 1st July 1948— (a) any buildings or works...
10.(1) Any reference in this Schedule to the cubic content...
12.(1) In this Schedule “at a material date” means at...
13.(1) In relation to a building erected after 1st July...
Special provisions as to land use in 1948
1.Where on lst July 1948 land was being temporarily used...
2.Where on 1st July 1948 land was normally used for...
3.Where land was unoccupied on 1st July 1948, but had...
4.Notwithstanding anything in paragraphs 1 to 3, the use of...
Local development orders: procedure
1.(1) A local development order must be prepared in accordance...
2.(1) The local planning authority may at any time prepare...
Order to be adopted
3.A local development order is of no effect unless it...
4.(1) The report made under section 35 of the Planning...
5.(1) The report made under section 76 of the Planning...
Conditions relating to Mineral Working
Part I Conditions imposed on Grant of Permission
Duration of development
1.(1) Every planning permission for development —
Power to impose aftercare conditions
2.(1) Where— (a) planning permission for development consisting of the...
Meaning of “required standard”
3.(1) In a case where— (a) the use specified in...
4.(1) Before imposing an aftercare condition, the mineral planning authority...
Certificate of compliance
5.If, on the application of any person with an interest...
Recovery of expenses of compliance
6.A person who has complied with an aftercare condition but...
Part II Conditions imposed on Revocation or Modification of Permission
7.An order under section 97 may in relation to planning...
8.Paragraphs 2(3) to (9) and 3 to 6 shall apply...
9.In this Schedule any reference to a mineral planning authority...
Determination of Certain Appeals by Person Appointed by Secretary of State
Determination of appeals by appointed person
1.(1) The Secretary of State may by regulations prescribe classes...
Powers and duties of appointed person
2.(1) An appointed person shall have the same powers and...
Determination of appeals by Secretary of State
3.(1) The Secretary of State may, if he thinks fit,...
4.(1) The Secretary of State may by a further direction...
Appointment of another person to determine appeal
5.(1) At any time before the appointed person has determined...
Local inquiries and hearings
6.(1) Whether or not the parties to an appeal have...
7.If before or during the determination of an appeal under...
8.(1) The Tribunals and Inquiries Act 1992 shall apply to...
Simplified Planning Zones
1.(1) A simplified planning zone scheme shall consist of a...
Notification of proposals to make or alter scheme
2.An authority who decide under section 83(2) to make or...
Power of Secretary of State to direct making or alteration of scheme
3.(1) If a person requests a local planning authority to...
4.(1) A simplified planning zone direction is—
Steps to be taken before depositing proposals
5.(1) A local planning authority proposing to make or alter...
Procedure after deposit of proposals
6.Where a local planning authority have prepared a proposed simplified...
Powers of Secretary of State to secure adequate publicity and consultations
7.(1) The documents sent by the local planning authority to...
Procedure for dealing with objections
8.(1) Where objections to the proposed scheme or alterations are...
Adoption of proposals by local planning authority
9.(1) After the expiry of the period for making objections...
Calling in of proposals for approval by Secretary of State
10.(1) Before the proposals have been adopted by the local...
Approval of proposals by Secretary of State
11.(1) The Secretary of State may after considering proposals submitted...
12.(1) Where — (a) a local planning authority are directed...
Regulations and directions
13.(1) Without prejudice to the previous provisions of this Schedule,...
Planning Inquiry Commissions
Part I Constitution and Procedure on References
Constitution of Commissions
1.(1) A Planning Inquiry Commission shall consist of a chairman...
Reference to a Planning Inquiry Commission
2.(1) Two or more of the matters mentioned in section...
Functions of Planning Inquiry Commission on reference
3.(1) A commission inquiring into a matter referred to them...
Procedure on reference to a Planning Inquiry Commission
4.(1) A reference to a Planning Inquiry Commission of a...
Local inquiries held by Planning Inquiry Commission
5.(1) A Planning Inquiry Commission shall, for the purpose of...
Part II Meaning of “the responsible Minister or Ministers”
6.In relation to the matters specified in the first column...
7.Where an entry in the second, third or fourth columns...
Requirements relating to Discontinuance of Mineral Working
Orders requiring discontinuance of mineral working
1.(1) If, having regard to the development plan and to...
2.(1) An order under paragraph 1 may impose a restoration...
Prohibition of resumption of mineral working
3.(1) Where it appears to the mineral planning authority—
4.(1) An order under paragraph 3 shall not take effect...
Orders after suspension of winning and working of minerals
5.(1) Where it appears to the mineral planning authority—
Supplementary suspension orders
6.(1) At any time when a suspension order is in...
Confirmation and coming into operation of suspension orders
7.(1) Subject to sub-paragraph (2), a suspension order or a...
Registration of suspension orders as local land charges
8.A suspension order or a supplementary suspension order shall be...
Review of suspension orders
9.(1) It shall be the duty of a mineral planning...
Resumption of mineral working after suspension order
10.(1) Subject to sub-paragraph (2), nothing in a suspension order...
Default powers of Secretary of State
11.(1) If it appears to the Secretary of State to...
12.In this Schedule any reference to a mineral planning authority...
Condition treated as applicable to rebuilding and alterations
1.Where the building to be rebuilt or altered is the...
2.Where the building to be rebuilt or altered is not...
3.In determining under this Schedule the purpose for which floor...
4.(1) For the purposes of this Schedule gross floor space...
5.In relation to a building erected after 1st July 1948...
Power to modify compensation provisions
1.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Circumstances in which mineral compensation modifications apply
2.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Mineral compensation requirements
Restriction on the winning and working of minerals
Determination of claims
Derivation of unexpended balance from claims under Part VI of 1947 Act
Original unexpended balance of established development value
Claim holdings: their areas and values
Adjustment of claim holdings: preliminary
Adjustment of claim holdings pledged to Central Land Board as security for development charges
Adjustment by reference to payments in respect of war-damaged land
Adjustment in cases of partial disposition of claim holdings
Adjustment in respect of payments under Part I of 1954 Act
Adjustment in respect of compensation under Part V of 1954 Act
Adjustment of claim holdings: supplementary provisions
General provision for continuance of original unexpended balance
Reduction or extinguishment of balance in consequence of compensation
Reduction or extinguishment of balance on initiation of new development
Calculation of value of previous development of land
Reduction or extinguishment of balance on acquisition under compulsory powers
Apportionment of unexpended balance of established development value
17.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Reduction or extinguishment of balance in consequence of severance or injurious affection
Supplementary provisions as to deductions from original balance
19.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Provision of information relating to unexpended balance
20.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Land allocated for public authority functions in development plans etc.
1.Land indicated in a structure plan in force for the...
1A.Land which is identified for the purposes of relevant public...
1B.Land in Wales which is identified for the purposes of...
2.Land which— (a) is allocated for the purposes of any...
3.Land indicated in a unitary development plan in force where...
4.Land which by a unitary development plan is allocated for...
5.Land indicated in a plan (other than a development plan)...
6.Land in respect of which a local planning authority—
New towns and urban development areas
7.Land within an area described as the site of a...
8.Land within an area designated as the site of a...
9.Land which is— (a) within an area intended to be...
Clearance and renewal areas
10.Land within an area declared to be a clearance area...
11.Land which— (a) is surrounded by or adjoining an area...
12.Land indicated by information published in pursuance of section 92...
13.Land indicated in a development plan (otherwise than by being...
14.Land on or adjacent to the line of a highway...
15.Land shown on plans approved by a resolution of a...
16.Land comprised in the site of a highway as proposed...
17.Land shown on plans approved by a resolution of a...
18.Land shown in a written notice given by the Secretary...
19.Land which— (a) either— (i) is within the outer lines...
General improvement areas
20.Land indicated by information published in pursuance of section 257...
21.Land authorised by a special enactment to be compulsorily acquired,...
22.Land in respect of which— (a) a compulsory purchase order...
23.Land— (a) the compulsory acquisition of which is authorised by...
24.Land falls within this paragraph if— (a) the compulsory acquisition...
Land identified in national policy statements
25.Land falls within this paragraph if the land is in...
Procedure for footpaths and bridleways orders
Part I Confirmation of orders
1.(1) Before an order under section 257 or 258 is...
2.If no representations or objections are duly made, or if...
3.(1) This paragraph applies where any representation or objection which...
4.(1) A decision of the Secretary of State under paragraph...
5.(1) The Secretary of State shall not confirm an order...
6.Regulations under this Act may, subject to this Part of...
Part II Publicity for orders after confirmation
7.(1) As soon as possible after an order under section...
8.Where an order under section 257 or 258 has come...
1.In this Schedule an application under section 302(3) and a...
Making of compliance determination applications
2.(1) A compliance determination application may be made with respect...
3.A compliance determination application shall be accompanied by such plans...
4.(1) The authority to whom a compliance determination application is...
5.(1) Where a compliance determination application is made to an...
Appeals against compliance determinations or failure to make such determinations
6.(1) Where the applicant is aggrieved by a compliance determination,...
7.(1) On such an appeal the Secretary of State may...
8.Subject to paragraph 9 and to any determination or decision...
Fresh applications where alteration in circumstances
9.Where a compliance determination has been given that works on...
References of application to Secretary of State
10.(1) If it appears to the Secretary of State that...
11.The Secretary of State may give directions to any authority...
Opportunity for hearing
12.On any compliance determination application or any appeal under this...
Notice of proposed enforcement
13.(1) This paragraph applies where before the relevant date any...
Power of entry
14.(1) At any time before the relevant date any officer...
Service of notices
15.(1) Any notice or other document required or authorised to...
16.Parts XIV and XV do not apply to section 302...
Provisions of the Planning Acts referred to in Sections 314 to 319
Enactments Exempted from Section 333(6)
2.The following provisions of the Highways Act 1980— section 73(1)...
3.The following further provisions of the Highways Act 1980—
4.Section 279 of the Highways Act 1980 so far as...
5.Any enactment making such provision as might by virtue of...
6.Any enactment which has been previously excluded or modified by...
Table of Derivations
1.The following abbreviations are used in this Table:— 1946 c....
2.The Table does not show the effect of transfer of...
3.The letter R followed by a number indicates that the...
4.The entry “drafting” indicates a provision of a mechanical or...