Consumer Credit Act 1974

76 Duty to give notice before taking certain action.E+W+S+N.I.

(1)The creditor or owner is not entitled to enforce a term of a regulated agreement by—

(a)demanding earlier payment of any sum, or

(b)recovering possession of any goods or land, or

(c)treating any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred,

except by or after giving the debtor or hirer not less than seven days’ notice of his intention to do so.

(2)Subsection (1) applies only where—

(a)a period for the duration of the agreement is specified in the agreement, and

(b)that period has not ended when the creditor or owner does an act mentioned in subsection (1),

but so applies notwithstanding that, under the agreement, any party is entitled to terminate it before the end of the period so specified.

(3)A notice under subsection (1) is ineffective if not in the prescribed form.

(4)Subsection (1) does not prevent a creditor from treating the right to draw on any credit as restricted or deferred and taking such steps as may be necessary to make the restriction or deferment effective.

(5)Regulations may provide that subsection (1) is not to apply to agreements described by the regulations.

(6)Subsection (1) does not apply to a right of enforcement arising by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of the regulated agreement.

Annotations: Help about Annotation

Annotations are used to give authority for changes and other effects on the legislation you are viewing and to convey editorial information. They appear at the foot of the relevant provision or under the associated heading. Annotations are categorised by annotation type, such as F-notes for textual amendments and I-notes for commencement information (a full list can be found in the Editorial Practice Guide). Each annotation is identified by a sequential reference number. For F-notes, M-notes and X-notes, the number also appears in bold superscript at the relevant location in the text. All annotations contain links to the affecting legislation.

Modifications etc. (not altering text)