Amendment of the Weights and Measures (Intoxicating Liquor) Order 1988
4. (1) The Weights and Measures (Intoxicating Liquor) Order 1988(1) is amended as follows.
(2) In article 2(1)(a) (specified quantities applicable to retail sales of beer or cider), after “1/2 pint”, where first appearing, insert “, 2/3 pint”.
(3) For article 5A substitute—
“5A. (1) For the purposes of this article—
(a)“wine” (except when used in the expression “wine fortified for distillation”) means the intoxicating liquor and other liquids specified in column 1 of Part 1 of Schedule 1 to this Order, other than wine fortified for distillation; and
(b)“wine fortified for distillation” has the same meaning as in the additional notes to Chapter 22 of the Combined Nomenclature.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), when sold in the glass or other vessel from which it is intended to be drunk, for consumption on the premises at which it is sold—
(a)wine shall be sold only in, or in a multiple of, the following quantities, that is to say, 125 ml and 175 ml; and
(b)wine fortified for distillation shall be sold only in, or in a multiple of, the following quantities, that is to say, 50 ml and 70 ml,
and, in either case, only if a statement in writing of the kind required by subparagraph (c) of article 5(1) is displayed or otherwise provided as required by that sub-paragraph.
(3) Nothing in this article shall make unlawful the sale—
(a)at the express request of the buyer, of any mixture of liquids containing, in a quantity not permitted by this article—
(ii)wine fortified for distillation; or
(b)of wine in a quantity of less than 75 ml, without the display or provision of a statement in writing of the kind referred to in paragraph (2).”.