Amendment of the Weights and Measures (Miscellaneous Foods) Order 1988
3. (1) The Weights and Measures (Miscellaneous Foods) Order 1988(1) is amended as follows.
(2) For article 6 (bread) substitute—
6. (1) For the purposes of this article “unwrapped loaf of bread” means a loaf of bread which is not made up in advance ready for retail sale or wholesale in a securely closed container and includes bread offered for sale in a confining band.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), an unwrapped loaf of bread may be made for sale only if—
(a)an indication of the quantity of the bread is given on a ticket displayed in immediate proximity to that loaf; or
(b)there is displayed, in such a position and manner as to be readily available without special request for inspection by a buyer before any sale is made, a notice—
(i)listing the forms in which unwrapped loaves of bread are made for sale; and
(ii)indicating the quantity or quantities in which each such form is made for sale.
(3) The following are exempt from the requirements of paragraph (2)—
(a)any unwrapped loaf of bread in a quantity of 400 g or a multiple of 400 g;
(b)any unwrapped loaf of bread weighing 300 g or less; and
(c)any sale under a contract for the supply of bread for consumption on the premises of the buyer if the contract provides for each delivery of bread to be of a specified aggregate quantity of not less than 25 kg and for the weighing of the bread on delivery.”.
(3) In Schedule 1—
(a)in column 2, omit “400 g or a multiple of 400 g.”; and
(b)in column 3, omit the words from “(1) where the net weight of each loaf is 300 g or less” to “and for the weighing of the bread on delivery.”
opposite the entry “Bread in the form of a whole loaf” in column 1.