- Draft legislation
This is a draft item of legislation. This draft has since been made as a UK Statutory Instrument: The European Parliamentary Elections (Northern Ireland) (Amendment) Regulations 2009 No. 813
37. After regulation 111 (service of notices) insert—
111A. (1) Paragraphs (2) and (3) apply to any document which by virtue of these Regulations is required or authorised to be given to voters or displayed in any place for the purposes of a European Parliamentary election.
(2) The person who is required or authorised to give or display the document (“P”) must, as P thinks appropriate, give or display or otherwise make available in such form as P thinks appropriate—
(a)the document in Braille;
(b)the document in languages other than English;
(c)graphical representations of the information contained in the document;
(d)other means of making the information contained in the document accessible to persons who might not otherwise have reasonable access to the information.
(3) P must also, as P thinks appropriate, make available the information contained in the document in such audible form as P thinks appropriate.
(4) Paragraphs (2) and (3) do not apply to—
(a)the nomination paper; or
(b)the ballot paper.
(5) The returning officer may cause to be displayed at every polling station in the election an enlarged sample copy of the ballot paper.
(6) The sample copy mentioned in paragraph (5)—
(a)must have printed the words “Vote for as many candidates as you wish in order of preference” both at the top and immediately below the list of candidates, and
(b)may include a translation of those words into such other languages as the returning officer thinks appropriate.
(7) The returning officer must provide at every polling station in the election an enlarged hand-held sample copy of the ballot paper for the assistance of voters who are partially sighted.
(8) The sample copy mentioned in paragraph (7) must be clearly marked as a specimen provided only for the guidance of voters.”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Draft Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Draft Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Draft Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: