Applications for registration
27.—(1) An application for registration as a parliamentary or local elector (or both) under section 10A(1)(a) or 13A(1)(a) of the 1983 Act(1)(“an application for registration”) shall, in addition to the requirements of section 10A(1A) and 13A(2A) of that Act(2), state—
(a)the applicant’s full name;
(b)the address in respect of which the applicant applies to be registered and at which he is resident on the date of the application;
(c)any address in respect of which the applicant is currently registered as an elector, if he has ceased to reside at that address;
(d)in the case of an applicant who has not attained the age of 18 years, his date of birth;
(e)in the case of an applicant who is a merchant seaman within the meaning of section 6 of the 1983 Act, that fact; and
(f)in the case of an applicant who wishes his name and address to be omitted from the edited version of the register, that request.
(2) In the case of a person applying to be registered as a parliamentary or local elector (or both) in pursuance of a service declaration, a declaration of local connection or an overseas elector’s declaration, the declaration in question shall accompany the application.
(3) An application for registration shall include a declaration made by the applicant that—
(a)the particulars given in accordance with paragraph(1) are true;
(b)subject to paragraph (5), in the case of an application by a relevant citizen of the Union for registration as a local elector, he is such a citizen; and
(c)in any other case, but subject to paragraph (5), he is a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of Ireland.
(4) An application for registration shall be made in writing to the registration officer and be signed and dated by the applicant.
(5) Paragraph (3)(b) and (c) does not apply to persons applying to be registered in pursuance of a service declaration or an overseas elector’s declaration.
(6) Where the registration officer provides the form on which an application for registration is made, the form of words in Schedule 5 or a form of words with substantially like effect with such variations as the registration officer may consider appropriate must form part of, or accompany, the application form.
(7) Where an application for registration is made otherwise than on a form provided by the registration officer, that officer must on or before the determination of the application send to the applicant the form of words in Schedule 5 or a form of words with substantially like effect and request the applicant to state within 21 days beginning with the date of that request if he wishes his name and address to be excluded from the edited version of the register.
(8) Where an applicant has not replied to the registration officer within 21 days beginning with the date on which the registration officer issued the request under paragraph (7), the registration officer shall assume that the applicant does not request his name and address to be excluded from the edited version of the register.
(9) Where an applicant has replied making such a request within that period, the request shall be treated as part of the application for registration.
Sections 10A and 13A were substituted by Schedule 1 to the 2000 Act.
Sections 10A(1A) and 13A(2A) were inserted by section 1 of the 2002 Act.