- Draft legislation
This is a draft item of legislation. This draft has since been made as a UK Statutory Instrument: The Bedfordshire (Structural Changes) Order 2008 No. 907
13. (1) A whole council election of councillors of Bedford Borough Council shall be held on the 2009 election day, and on the ordinary day of election of councillors in 2011 and in every fourth year thereafter(1).
(2) Notwithstanding section 7(8) and (9) of the 1972 Act (elections of councillors), the term of office of all councillors elected to Bedford Borough Council at the 2009 election shall be two years(2).
(3) For the purposes of the 2009 election—
(a)the wards of Brickhill, Bromham, Castle, Cauldwell, Goldington, Harpur, Kempston South, Kingsbrook, Putnoe and Wootton shall each return two councillors; and
(b)the other district wards(3) shall each return one councillor;
(4) The proper officer of Bedford Borough Council shall take such steps as are necessary or appropriate to prepare for the 2009 election, including the making of all necessary alterations in the electoral register.
(5) All councillors shall retire on the fourth day after the ordinary day of election of councillors in the year of retirement and the newly-elected councillors shall come into office on the day on which their predecessors retire.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Draft Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Draft Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Draft Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: