- Draft legislation
This is a draft item of legislation. This draft has since been made as a UK Statutory Instrument: The Double Taxation Relief (Taxes on Income)(Taiwan) Order 2002 No. 3137
(1) Interest arising in a territory and paid to a resident of the other territory may be taxed in that other territory.
(2) However, such interest may also be taxed in the territory in which it arises and according to the laws of that territory, but if the beneficial owner of the interest is a resident of the other territory, the tax so charged shall not exceed 10 per cent. of the gross amount of the interest. The competent authorities of the territories shall by mutual agreement settle the mode of application of this limitation.
(3) The term “interest” as used in this Article means income from debt-claims of every kind, whether or not secured by mortgage and whether or not carrying a right to participate in the debtor’s profits, and in particular, income from government securities and income from bonds or debentures, including premiums and prizes attaching to such securities, bonds or debentures. The term “interest” shall not include any item which is treated as a dividend under the provisions of Article 10 of this Agreement.
(4) The provisions of paragraphs (1), (2) and (8) of this Article shall not apply if the beneficial owner of the interest, being a resident of a territory, carries on business in the other territory in which the interest arises, through a permanent establishment situated therein, or performs in that other territory independent personal services from a fixed base situated therein, and the debt-claim in respect of which the interest is paid is effectively connected with such permanent establishment or fixed base. In such case, the provisions of Article 7 or Article 14 of this Agreement, as the case may be, shall apply.
(5) Where, by reason of a special relationship between the payer and the beneficial owner or between both of them and some other person, the amount of the interest paid exceeds, for whatever reason, the amount which would have been agreed upon by the payer and the beneficial owner in the absence of such relationship, the provisions of this Article shall apply only to the last-mentioned amount of interest. In such case, the excess part of the payments shall remain taxable according to the laws of each territory, due regard being had to the other provisions of this Agreement.
(6) Interest shall be deemed to arise in a territory when the payer is an authority of that territory or a subdivision or local authority of that territory or a person who is a resident of that territory for the purposes of its tax. Where, however, the person paying the interest, whether the person is a resident of a territory or not, has in a territory a permanent establishment or a fixed base in connection with which the indebtedness on which the interest is paid was incurred, and such interest is borne by such permanent establishment or fixed base, then such interest shall be deemed to arise in the territory in which the permanent establishment or fixed base is situated.
(7) The provisions of this Article shall not apply if it was the main purpose or one of the main purposes of any person concerned with the creation or assignment of the debt-claim in respect of which the interest is paid to take advantage of this Article by means of that creation or assignment.
(8) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2) of this Article, interest arising in a territory shall be exempt from tax in that territory if:
(a)it is paid to and beneficially owned by the other territory or a local authority thereof, or any agency or instrumentality of that other territory or local authority thereof; or
(b)it is paid in respect of a loan made, guaranteed or insured, or any other debt-claim or credit guaranteed or insured by an approved agency or instrumentality of that other territory.
(9) For the purposes of paragraph (8)(b) of this Article the term “approved agency or instrumentality” means:
(a)in the case of the territory referred to in paragraph (3)(a) of Article 2 of this Agreement, the Export Credits Guarantee Department and such other agencies and instrumentalities of that territory as may be agreed from time to time between the competent authorities;
(b)in the case of the territory referred to in paragraph (3)(b) of Article 2 of this Agreement, such agencies and instrumentalities of that territory as may be agreed from time to time between the competent authorities .
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.