- Draft legislation
This is a draft item of legislation. This draft has since been made as a UK Statutory Instrument: The Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 No. 662
18. (1) A works notice may require a person to carry out works or operations in relation to any land or waters notwithstanding that he is not entitled to carry out those works or operations.
(2) Any person whose consent is required before any works or operations required by a works notice may be carried out shall grant, or join in granting, such rights in relation to any land or waters as will enable the person on whom the works notice is served to comply with any requirements imposed by the works notice.
(3) Before serving a works notice, the Department shall reasonably endeavour to consult every person who appears to it—
(a)to be the owner or occupier of any relevant land, and
(b)to be a person who might be required by paragraph (2) to grant, or join in granting, any rights,
concerning the rights which that person may be so required to grant.
(4) A works notice shall not be regarded as invalid, or as invalidly served, by reason only of any failure to comply with the requirements of paragraph (3).
(5) A person who grants, or joins in granting, any rights pursuant to paragraph (2) shall be entitled, on making an application within such period as may be prescribed and in such manner as may be prescribed to such person as may be prescribed, to be paid by the person on whom the works notice in question is served compensation of such amount as may be determined in such manner as may be prescribed.
(6) Without prejudice to the generality of the regulations that may be made by virtue of paragraph (5), regulations by virtue of that paragraph may make such provision in relation to compensation under this Article as may be made by regulations by virtue of Article 7 of the [1997 NI 19.] Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997 in relation to compensation under that Article.
(7) In this Article “relevant land” means—
(a)any land or waters in relation to which the works notice in question requires, or may require, works or operations to be carried out; or
(b)any land or waters adjoining or adjacent to that land or those waters.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.