- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
97.—(1) In this rule and rule 98, “restraint” means a body belt.
(2) The Governor may order that a prisoner be placed under a restraint where it appears to the Governor that it is necessary to do so in order to restrain a prisoner–
(a)who threatens to injure, or is in the course of injuring, him or herself or other persons; or
(b)who threatens to damage, or is in the course of damaging, property; or
(c)who threatens to create, or is in the course of creating, a disturbance.
(3) Where the Governor makes an order under paragraph (2), notice of the order shall be given by the Governor to a medical officer as soon as possible.
(4) On receipt of a notice under paragraph (3), the medical officer shall inform the Governor whether he or she concurs in the order and, if not, the Governor shall order the restraint to be removed immediately.
(5) A medical officer may order that a prisoner be placed under a restraint if satisfied that it is necessary to do so in order to prevent self-injury.
(6) Where a medical officer makes an order under paragraph (5), the medical officer shall give notice of the order to the Governor as soon as possible.
(7) No prisoner shall be placed under a restraint as a punishment.
Executive Note sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Scottish Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Scottish Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Scottish Statutory Instrument or Draft Scottish Statutory Instrument laid before the Scottish Parliament from July 2005 onwards.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: