- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
15. (1) Subject to paragraph (4), in order to ensure the safety in respect of harm caused by fire of relevant persons arising from an accident, incident or emergency related to the presence of a dangerous substance in the relevant premises, the person with duties under section 53 or 54 must ensure that–
(a)information on emergency arrangements is available, including–
(i)details of relevant work hazards and hazard identification arrangements; and
(ii)specific hazards likely to arise at the time of an accident, incident or emergency;
(b)suitable warning and other communication systems are established to enable an appropriate response, including remedial actions and rescue operations, to be made immediately when such an event occurs;
(c)where necessary, before any explosion conditions are reached, visual or audible warnings are given and relevant persons withdrawn; and
(d)where the assessment indicates it is necessary, escape facilities are provided and maintained to ensure that, in the event of danger, relevant persons can leave endangered places promptly and safely.
(2) Subject to paragraph (4), the person with duties under section 53 or 54 must ensure that the information required by regulation 14(1)(a) and paragraph (1)(a) of this regulation, together with information on the matters referred to in paragraphs (1)(b) and (d) is–
(a)made available to relevant accident and emergency services to enable those services, whether internal or external to the relevant premises, to prepare their own response procedures and precautionary measures; and
(b)displayed at the relevant premises, unless the results of the assessment make this unnecessary.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), in the event of a fire arising from an accident, incident or emergency related to the presence of a dangerous substance in the relevant premises, the person with duties under section 53 or 54 must ensure that–
(a)immediate steps are taken to–
(i)mitigate the effects of the fire;
(ii)restore the situation to normal; and
(iii)inform those relevant persons who may be affected; and
(b)only those persons who are essential for the carrying out of repairs and other necessary work are permitted in the affected area and they are provided with–
(i)appropriate personal protective equipment and protective clothing; and
(ii)any necessary specialised safety equipment and plant,
which must be used until the situation is restored to normal.
(4) Paragraphs (1) to (3) do not apply where–
(a)the results of the assessment show that, because of the quantity of each dangerous substance in the premises, there is only a slight risk to relevant persons; and
(b)the measures taken by the person with duties under section 53 or 54 to comply with his or her duty under regulation 11 are sufficient to control that risk.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Executive Note sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Scottish Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Scottish Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Scottish Statutory Instrument or Draft Scottish Statutory Instrument laid before the Scottish Parliament from July 2005 onwards.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: