- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). Scottish Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
Scottish Statutory Instruments
27th August 2002
Laid before the Scottish Parliament
28th August 2002
Coming into force
1st October 2002
The Scottish Ministers, in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 1(1) and (2), 2(1), 3(6) and 5 of the Education (Disability Strategies and Pupils' Educational Records) (Scotland) Act 2002(1) and of all other powers enabling them in that behalf, after consulting such representatives of responsible bodies and such other persons (or their representatives) likely to be affected by the Regulations as appear to them to be appropriate, hereby make the following Regulations:
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Education (Disability Strategies) (Scotland) Regulations 2002 and shall come into force on 1st October 2002.
2.—(1) The responsible body shall prepare their first accessibility strategy by 1st April 2003.
(2) The first accessibility strategy shall be a strategy for a period of up to three years, starting by 1st April 2003.
(3) In respect of a school established after 1st April 2003, the responsible body shall prepare their first accessibility strategy by a date no later than six months from the date the school is established and for a period of up to three years.
(4) Further accessibility strategies shall be prepared by a date not more than three years after the date of preparation of the previous strategy, and shall be for a period of three years, to start immediately on the expiry of the period to which the previous strategy related.
3. For the purpose of section 3(5)(b) of the Education (Disability Strategies and Pupils' Educational Records) (Scotland) Act 2002, “alternative form” means:–
(b)on audio tape;
(c)through sign language or lip speaking; or
(d)on video tape (using signing and/or lip speaking);
(f)in large print;
(g)on CD Rom or other means of electronic communication; or
(h)any other form which the responsible body regards as a reasonable form in which to provide information.
A member of the Scottish Executive
27th August 2002
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
The Education (Disability Strategies and Pupils' Records) (Scotland) Act 2002 provides that bodies responsible for schools shall prepare accessibility strategies at prescribed intervals.
In the case of education authorities providing school education to pupils under school age and to children educated outwith schools, strategies will also be prepared for each place where such education is provided.
These regulations prescribe the intervals at which such strategies should be prepared (regulation 2) and the alternative forms in which responsible bodies should make their accessibility strategies available on request (regulation 3).
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: