Use of processes
28. (1) The Scottish Ministers may at any time by notice in writing (or in electronic form) given to a water authority require it to make an application to them for approval of the use of any process; and may prohibit it for such period as may be specified in the notice from using any such process in connection with the supply by it of water for regulation 4(1) purposes.
(2) The Scottish Ministers may refuse the application or impose on any approval given for the purposes of this regulation such conditions as they think fit and, subject to paragraph (3), may at any time by notice in writing (or in electronic form) to the water authority revoke an approval so given or modify or revoke any condition imposed by virtue of this paragraph.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), the Scottish Ministers shall not–
(a)revoke any approval given for the purposes of this regulation;
(b)modify any condition imposed by virtue of paragraph (2); or
(c)prohibit a water authority from using any process,
unless they have given to the water authority at least six months' notice in writing (or in electronic form) of their intention to revoke, modify or prohibit, as the case may be.
(4) Paragraph (3) shall not apply in any case in which the Scottish Ministers are of the opinion that the immediate revocation, modification or prohibition is necessary in the interests of public health.
(5) Paragraph (12) of regulation 27 shall apply for the purposes of this regulation as if–
(a)for the reference to a substance or product there were substituted a reference to a process; and
(b)for the reference to paragraph (4)(a) and paragraph (8) there were substituted a reference to this regulation and paragraph (1) of this regulation respectively.