- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
28.—(1) Where any costs are recoverable under these Regulations from a person who is the owner of land and the enforcing authority serves a notice on that person under this regulation—
(a)the costs carry interest, at such reasonable rate as the enforcing authority may determine, from the date of service of the notice until the whole amount is paid; and
(b)subject to the following provisions of this section, the costs and accrued interest are a charge on the land.
(2) A notice served under this regulation shall—
(a)specify the amount of the costs that the enforcing authority claims is recoverable;
(b)state the effect of paragraph (1) and the rate of interest determined by the enforcing authority under that subsection; and
(c)state the effect of paragraphs (4) to (6).
(3) On the date on which the enforcing authority serves a notice on a person under this regulation the enforcing authority shall also serve a copy of the notice on every other person who, to the knowledge of the enforcing authority, has an estate in the land capable of being affected by the charge.
(4) Subject to any order under paragraph (7)(b) or (c) below, the amount of any costs specified in a notice under this regulation and the accrued interest is a charge on the land—
(a)as from the end of the period of 21 days beginning with the date of service of the notice; or
(b)where an appeal is brought under paragraph (6) below, as from the final determination of the appeal;
until the costs and interest are recovered.
(5) For the purposes of paragraph (4), the withdrawal of an appeal has the same effect as a final determination of the appeal.
(6) A person served with a notice or copy of a notice under this regulation may appeal against the notice to the county court within the period of 21 days beginning with the date of service.
(7) On such an appeal the court may—
(a)confirm the notice without modification;
(b)order that the notice is to have effect with the substitution of a different amount for the amount originally specified in it; or
(c)order that the notice is to be of no effect.
(8) A charge under this regulation may be recovered by the same means and in the like manner in all respects as if it were a mortgage by deed created by the owner of the estate in favour of the enforcing authority and, for the recovery thereof, the enforcing authority may exercise the powers conferred by sections 19, 21 and 22 of the Conveyancing Act 1881(1) on mortgages by deed.
(9) In this regulation “owner”, in relation to any land, means a person (other than a mortgagee not in possession) who, whether in that person’s own right or as trustee for any other person, is entitled to receive the rack rent of the land or, where the land is not let at a rack rent, would be so entitled if they were so let.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Rule and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Rule accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Statutory Rule or Draft Northern Ireland Statutory Rule laid before the UK Parliament during the suspension of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: