- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
24. (1) An application for accreditation shall be made to the Department—
(a)in the case of a person wishing to be accredited—
(i)as a reprocessor in respect of each site for which he wishes to be accredited and stating which of the applicable recovery operations which recyclable materials he wishes that accreditation to cover; or
(ii)as an exporter, in respect of the export of one or more recyclable materials for reprocessing at one or more specified reprocessing sites outside the United Kingdom;
(b)on a form made available by the Department and including all the information specified on that form, being information which the Department reasonably requires in order to determine the application;
(c)accompanied by a business plan containing information on how the funds acquired from the issue of PRNs or PERNs are to be applied including information in respect of the following matters—
(i)the development of capacity for the collection and reprocessing of packaging waste and the development of new markets for materials or goods which have been made from recycled packaging waste; and
(ii)arrangements for the collection and sorting of packaging waste; and
(iii)the strategy, including communications, to be adopted in order to achieve the matters described in paragraphs (i) and (ii) above; and
(d)accompanied by a fee of—
(i)in the case of an applicant who undertakes to issue PRNs or PERNs for not more than 400 tonnes of packaging waste in the year to which the application relates, £505; or
(ii)in any other case, £2616.
(2) An application for accreditation as—
(a)A reprocessor to issue PRNs for the receipt of one or more specified recyclable materials at a specified site and for reprocessing in one or more specified recovery operations or a combination of such operations; or
(b)An exporter, to issue PERNs for the export of one or more specified recyclable materials for reprocessing in one or more recovery operations at a specified reprocessing site or sites outside the United Kingdom, or a combination of such operations,
shall be granted where the Department is satisfied as to the matters set out in paragraph (3) below or, in any other case, shall be refused.
(3) The matters referred to in paragraph (2) are—
(a)the contents of the business plan referred to in paragraph (1)(c) above;
(b)where the application is made for accreditation as an exporter and relates to one or more reprocessing sites outside the European Community, that the requirements of Article 6(2) of the Packaging Waste Directive have been met in respect of each site;
(c)that the application has been duly made in accordance with paragraph (1) above; and.
(d)the reprocessor or exporter will comply with the conditions specified in and under Schedule 5.
(4) The Department shall notify the applicant in writing of its decision under paragraph (2) no later than 12 weeks after the application was made and, if the decision is a decision to refuse accreditation, such notification shall include reasons for the decision and a statement of the right of appeal under regulation 27(3)(a).
(5) Subject to regulation 26, where accreditation is granted under paragraph (2), it shall take effect—
(a)where the application is made in the preceding year to that in which the person wishes to be accredited—
(i)from 1st January where the decision to accredit was made before that date; and
(ii)in all other cases, from the date of the decision,
and shall remain in force until 31st December in the year for which the person has applied to be accredited;
(b)where the application is made during the year in which the person wishes to be accredited, from the date of the decision, and shall remain in force until 31st December in that year.
(6) Where a reprocessor or exporter who has given the undertaking and paid the fee specified in paragraph (1)(d)(i) subsequently breaches that undertaking, he shall from the date of that breach be liable to pay to the Department the sum of £2,111 (being the balance of the fee which would have been payable under paragraph (1)(d)(ii) had the undertaking not been given).
(7) An application to extend the accreditation of an exporter to include a further reprocessing site or sites to which he wants to export packaging waste for reprocessing shall be made to the Department on the form specified in paragraph (1) and be accompanied by a fee of £110.
(8) An application to extend an exporters accreditation to include a further reprocessing site or sites located within the European Community shall be granted by the Department where it is satisfied that the application has been made in accordance with paragraph (7) above, and in any other case be refused.
(9) An application to extend an exporter’s accreditation to include a further reprocessing site or sites located outside the European Community shall be granted by the Department where it is satisfied that each of those sites meets the requirements of Article 6(2) of the Packaging Waste Directive and is satisfied that the application was made in accordance with paragraph (7) above, and in any other case be refused.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: