- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. (1) These Regulations may be cited as the Personal Pension Schemes (Appropriate Schemes) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1997 and shall come into operation on 6th April 1997.
(2) In these Regulations—
“administrators”, in relation to a personal pension scheme, means—
the trustees; or
the managers (if there are no trustees); and
any person or company authorised to act on behalf of the trustees or managers (if there are no trustees),
but does not include any person who is resident outside the United Kingdom nor any company which has its registered office outside the United Kingdom;
“building society” has the same meaning as in the Building Societies Act 1986(1);
“Friendly Society” has the same meaning as in the Friendly Societies Act 1992(2) (including any society which by virtue of section 96(2) of that Act is to be treated as a registered friendly society within the meaning of that Act);
“overseas scheme” means an occupational pension scheme which is administered wholly or primarily outside the United Kingdom but does not include one which is contracted-out within the meaning of section 3(3)(3) nor one to which section 49(4) applies;
“pensionable age” has the meaning given by the rules in paragraph 1 of Schedule 2 to the Pensions (Northern Ireland) Order 1995(5).
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954(6) shall apply to these Regulations as it applies to a Measure of the Assembly.
(4) For the purposes of these Regulations and notwithstanding section 39(2) of the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954, where a period of time is expressed to begin on, or to be reckoned from, a particular day, that day shall be included in the period.
(5) In these Regulations any reference to a numbered section is a reference to the section of the Pension Schemes (Northern Ireland) Act 1993 bearing that number.
Section 3 is amended by Article 133(1) of, and paragraph 15 of Schedule 3 to, the Pensions (Northern Ireland) Order 1995
Section 49 applies to occupational pension schemes by virtue of section 48(1) of the Pension Schemes (Northern Ireland) Act 1993. Section 49 is amended by paragraph 40 of Schedule 3 to the Pensions (Northern Ireland) Order 1995
S.I. 1995/3213 (N.I. 22)
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: