Opting out of pensionable employment
B3.—(1) A pensionable employee may at any time notify his employing authority in writing that he does not wish to be such for the purposes of these regulations.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), a person giving a notification under paragraph (1) shall cease to be a pensionable employee from the day following the end of the relevant period, or such later date as may be specified in the notification.
(3) In a case where the person was a pensionable employee on 5th April 1988 and the notification is given before 6th July 1988, he shall be treated as having ceased to be a pensionable employee on 6th April 1988 or such later date as may be specified in the notification.
(4) A person giving a notification under paragraph (1) shall not again become a pensionable employee in that or another employment unless he makes an election in accordance with regulation B4.
(5) Any contributions paid with respect to a period during which a person is to be treated by virtue of a notification under paragraph (1) as not having been a pensionable employee shall be returned to him.
(6) In paragraph (2), “the relevant period” means the period of service to which the person’s payment of wages or salary due from the employing authority next after the day on which the notification under paragraph (1) is given relates, or the period of 2 months beginning on that day, whichever ends the sooner.