Departments' functions as to road safety
82. (1) Article 52 of the Order of 1995 (powers of Department as to giving road safety information and training) is amended as follows–
(a)in paragraph (3)(b), omit the words from “the construction, improvement, maintenance or repair of roads” to the end;
(b)omit paragraph (3)(c);
(c)after paragraph (3) insert–
“(4) The Department may give, or make arrangements for the giving of, training on road safety to road users, or any class or description of road users, on payment of a fee.
(5) The Department may by regulations, in respect of any fees that may be charged under paragraph (4)–
(a)make provision for the payment of fees of such amounts as are prescribed by the regulations;
(b)specify the maximum fees that a person may be required to pay;
(c)specify the persons to whom such fees are payable;
(d)provide for the times at which, and method by which, fees are payable.”.
(2) After that Article insert–
“Functions of Department for Regional Development as to road safety
52A. (1) The Department for Regional Development (in this Article “the Department”) must prepare and carry out a programme of measures designed to improve road safety.
(2) The Department may, with the approval of the Department of Finance and Personnel, make contributions towards the cost of measures for promoting road safety which are taken by any authority, body or person.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), in pursuance of its duty under that paragraph, the Department–
(a)must carry out studies into accidents arising out of the use of vehicles on roads or parts of roads;
(b)must, in the light of those studies, take such measures as appear to the Department to be appropriate to prevent such accidents, including the construction, improvement, maintenance or repair of roads which are maintainable by the Department, and other measures taken in the exercise of the Department’s powers for controlling, protecting or assisting the movement of traffic on roads;
(c)in constructing new roads, must take such measures as appear to the Department to be appropriate to reduce the possibilities of such accidents when the roads come into use.”.