- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made).
6. (1) After Article 5A of the 1997 Order (inserted by Article 5) insert—
5B. (1) This Article applies where a person is convicted of—
(a)an offence under Article 4 in respect of a contravention of paragraph (1) of that Article; or
(b)an offence under Article 5 in respect of a failure to comply with paragraph (1) of that Article.
(2) The court by or before which the offender is convicted may make an order requiring him to pay to the Department a sum which appears to the court not to exceed the costs arising from—
(a)investigations of the Department which resulted in the conviction; and
(b)the seizure by the Department under Article 5E of a vehicle involved in the offence.
(3) The costs arising from the seizure of a vehicle as specified in paragraph (2)(b) may include the cost of disposing of the contents of the vehicle.
(4) The power of a court to make an order under this Article is in addition to its power to make an order under section 2 of the Costs in Criminal Cases Act (Northern Ireland) 1968 (award of costs against accused).”.
(2) This Article does not have effect in relation to an offence committed before the coming into operation of this Article.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: