- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups (Northern Ireland) Order 2007. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
Whole provisions yet to be inserted into this Order (including any effects on those provisions):
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
Commencement Orders bringing provisions within this Order into force:
Commencement Orders bringing legislation that affects this Order into force:
1. (1) An activity is a regulated activity relating to children if—N.I.
(a)it is mentioned in paragraph 2(1), and
(b)it is carried out frequently by the same person or the period condition is satisfied.
(2) An activity is a regulated activity relating to children if—
(a)it is carried out frequently by the same person or the period condition is satisfied,
(b)it is carried out in an establishment mentioned in paragraph 3(1),
(c)it is carried out by a person while engaging in any form of work (whether or not for gain),
(d)it is carried out for or in connection with the purposes of the establishment, and
(e)it gives that person the opportunity, in consequence of anything he is permitted or required to do in connection with the activity, to have contact with children.
(3) Each of the following is a regulated activity relating to children—
(a)acting as a child minder on domestic premises;
(b)providing day care.
(4) Any expression used both in sub-paragraph (3) and in Part XI of the Children Order has the meaning given by that Order.
(5) It is a regulated activity relating to children to foster a child (as mentioned in Article 55).
(6) The exercise of a function of a guardian ad litem appointed under Article 60 of the Children Order is a regulated activity relating to children.
(7) The exercise of a function of a person mentioned in paragraph 4(1) is a regulated activity relating to children.
(8) The exercise of a function of any of the following so far as it relates to the inspection of an establishment mentioned in paragraph 3(1) is a regulated activity relating to children—
(a)an inspector appointed under Article 102 of the Education and Libraries (Northern Ireland) Order 1986;
(b)the Chief Inspector of Criminal Justice in Northern Ireland;
(c)the Regulation and Improvement Authority.
(9) The exercise of a function of the Regulation and Improvement Authority so far as it relates to the inspection of an establishment, agency or body falling within sub-paragraph (10) is a regulated activity relating to children.
(10) An establishment, agency or body falls within this sub-paragraph if it is—
(a)an establishment in relation to which a requirement to register arises under Article 12 of the 2003 Order,
(b)an agency in relation to which such a requirement arises, or
(c)an [F1HSC body],
and it provides any form of treatment or therapy for children.
(11) In sub-paragraph (10)(c) the reference to an [F1HSC body] includes a reference to any person who provides, or is to provide, health care for the body (wherever the health care is or is to be provided).
(12) Any activity which consists in or involves on a regular basis the day to day management or supervision of a person carrying out an activity mentioned in sub-paragraph (1), (2), (6), (8) or (9) is a regulated activity relating to children.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: