- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups (Northern Ireland) Order 2007. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
Commencement Orders bringing provisions within this Order into force:
Commencement Orders bringing legislation that affects this Order into force:
24. (1) The criteria which may be prescribed for the purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 7 and 8 are—N.I.
(a)that a person has been convicted of, or cautioned in relation to, an offence of a specified description;
(b)that an order of a specified description requiring the person to do or not to do anything has been made against him;
(c)that a person is included in a specified list maintained for the purposes of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom;
(d)that an order or direction of a specified description requiring the person to do or not to do anything has been made against him for the purposes of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom.
(2) The power to specify offences for the purposes of sub-paragraph (1) includes power to specify offences under—
[F1(a)the law of a country or territory outside Northern Ireland;]
(b)section 70 of the Army Act 1955 (3 & 4 Eliz. 2 c. 18);
(c)section 70 of the Air Force Act 1955 (3 & 4 Eliz. 2 c. 19);
(d)section 42 of the Naval Discipline Act 1957 (c. 53);
(e)section 42 of the Armed Forces Act 2006 (c. 52).
(3) The Secretary of State may specify a list for the purposes of sub-paragraph (1)(c) only if he thinks that inclusion in the list has a corresponding or similar effect to inclusion in a barred list.
(4) For the purposes of determining whether any of the criteria is satisfied in relation to a person, ignore—
(a)any offence committed before he attained the age of 18;
(b)any order or direction made before that time.
(5) The criteria which may be prescribed for the purposes of paragraph 1 or 2 must not consist only of circumstances in which the person has committed an offence against a child before the commencement of Article 6 if the court, having considered whether to make a disqualification order, decided not to.
(6) In sub-paragraph (5)—
(a)the reference to an offence committed against a child must be construed in accordance with Chapter II of Part II of the Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults (Northern Ireland) Order 2003 (NI 4);
(b)a disqualification order is an order under Article 23 or 24 of that Order.
(7) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (4) an offence committed over a period of time must be treated as committed on the last day of the period.
(8) For the purpose of considering whether the criteria apply to an individual, the Secretary of State must, from time to time, examine records of convictions or cautions held for the use of police forces generally.
(9) Sub-paragraph (8) does not apply to records of convictions made, or cautions given, before such date as is prescribed.
[F2(10) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (2)(a) in its application to an offence committed outside the British Islands the Secretary of State must not specify the offence unless—
(a)the conduct which constitutes the offence would, if carried out in Northern Ireland, amount to an offence under the law of Northern Ireland (the equivalent offence), and
(b)the equivalent offence is also specified for the purposes of paragraph 1, 2, 7 or 8 (as the case may be).]
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: