- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made).
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Safety of Sports Grounds (Northern Ireland) Order 2005.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), this Order comes into operation on such day or days as the Department may by order appoint.
(3) The following provisions come into operation on the expiration of one month from the day on which this Order is made—
(c)Articles 9 to 12;
(d)Article 19; and
(e)Articles 22 to 27.
2.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4), the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 (c. 33) applies to this Order as it applies to an Act of the Assembly.
(2) In this Order—
“the court”, in relation to any premises, means a court of summary jurisdiction acting for the petty sessions district in which the premises are situated;
“the Department” means the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure;
“council” means a district council;
“the Fire Authority” means the Fire Authority for Northern Ireland;
“notice” means notice in writing;
“safety” does not include safety from danger inherent in participation in a sporting or competitive activity,
“sports ground” means any place where—
sports or other competitive activities take place in the open air (or would take place in the open air but for the closing of any retractable roof); and
accommodation has been provided for spectators, consisting of artificial structures or of natural structures artificially modified for the purpose.
(3) The Department may by order amend the definition of “sports ground” in paragraph (2).
(4) For the purposes of this Order, section 20(2) of the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 (c. 33) applies with the omission of the words “the liability of whose members is limited” and where the affairs of a body corporate are managed by its members, applies in relation to the acts or defaults of a member in connection with his functions of management as if he were a director of the body corporate.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: