- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Disability Discrimination (Northern Ireland) Order 2006. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
31. (1) Schedule 4 (premises occupied under leases) is amended as follows.N.I.
(2) In paragraph 2 (joining lessors in tribunal proceedings)—
(a)in the heading, the words “or 25(8)” are omitted, and
(b)in sub-paragraph (1), for “under section 17A or 25(8)” substitute “ on a complaint under section 17A ”.
(3) In the heading to Part II (occupation by provider of services) for “provider of services” substitute “ persons subject to a duty under section 21, section 21E or 21H ”.
(4) In paragraph 5 (failure to obtain consent to alteration), after “section 21 duty” insert “ or the duty imposed under section 21E or 21H ”.
(5) In paragraph 7(1) (joining lessors in proceedings under section 25), for “under section 25, in a case to which this Part of this Schedule applies,” substitute “ under section 25 in a case to which section 27 applies, other than a claim presented as a complaint under section 25(8), ”.
(6) After paragraph 7 insert—
7A. (1) In any proceedings on a complaint under section 25(8) in a case to which section 27 applies, the complainant or the occupier may ask the tribunal hearing the complaint to direct that the lessor be joined as a party to the proceedings.
(2) The request shall be granted if it is made before the hearing of the complaint begins.
(3) The tribunal may refuse the request if it is made after the hearing of the complaint begins.
(4) The request may not be granted if it is made after the tribunal has determined the complaint.
(5) Where a lessor has been so joined as a party to the proceedings, the tribunal may determine—
(a)whether the lessor has—
(i)refused consent to the alteration, or
(ii)consented subject to one or more conditions; and
(b)if so, whether the refusal or any of the conditions was unreasonable.
(6) If, under sub-paragraph (5), the tribunal determines that the refusal or any of the conditions was unreasonable it may take one or more of the following steps—
(a)make such declaration as it considers appropriate;
(b)make an order authorising the occupier to make the alteration specified in the order;
(c)order the lessor to pay compensation to the complainant.
(7) An order under sub-paragraph (6)(b) may require the occupier to comply with conditions specified in the order.
(8) Any step taken by the tribunal under sub-paragraph (6) may be in substitution for, or in addition to, any step taken by the tribunal under section 17A(2).
(9) If the tribunal orders the lessor to pay compensation it may not make an order under section 17A(2) ordering the occupier to do so.”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
This timeline shows the different points in time where a change occurred. The dates will coincide with the earliest date on which the change (e.g an insertion, a repeal or a substitution) that was applied came into force. The first date in the timeline will usually be the earliest date when the provision came into force. In some cases the first date is 01/02/1991 (or for Northern Ireland legislation 01/01/2006). This date is our basedate. No versions before this date are available. For further information see the Editorial Practice Guide and Glossary under Help.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: