The term provision is used to describe a definable element in a piece of legislation that has legislative effect – such as a Part, Chapter or section. A version of a provision is prospective either:
Commencement Orders listed in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ box as not yet applied may bring this prospective version into force.
Note: Point in time prospective is the latest available view of the legislation that includes by default all the prospective changes that might come into force.
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Disability Discrimination (Northern Ireland) Order 2006. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Changes and effects yet to be applied by the editorial team are only applicable when viewing the latest version or prospective version of legislation. They are therefore not accessible when viewing legislation as at a specific point in time. To view the ‘Changes to Legislation’ information for this provision return to the latest version view using the options provided in the ‘What Version’ box above.
8. (1) In section 46 of the 1995 Act (rail vehicle accessibility regulations), before subsection (5) insert—
“(4A) The Department for Regional Development shall exercise the power to make rail vehicle accessibility regulations so as to secure that on and after 1st January 2020 every rail vehicle is a regulated rail vehicle, but this does not affect the powers conferred by subsection (5) or section 47(1) or 67(2).”.
(2) In that section for the definition in subsection (6) of “rail vehicle” substitute—
““rail vehicle” means a vehicle constructed or adapted to carry passengers by rail;”.”
(3) For section 47(1) of the 1995 Act (rail vehicle accessibility regulations: power to exempt use of vehicles of specified descriptions or in specified circumstances) substitute—
“(1) The Department for Regional Development may by order (an “exemption order”)—
(a)authorise the use for carriage of a regulated rail vehicle even though the vehicle does not conform with the provisions of rail vehicle accessibility regulations with which it is required to conform;
(b)authorise a regulated rail vehicle to be used for carriage otherwise than in conformity with the provisions of rail vehicle accessibility regulations with which use of the vehicle is required to conform.
(1A) Authority under subsection (1)(a) or (b) may be for—
(a)any regulated rail vehicle that is specified or is of a specified description; or
(b)use in specified circumstances of—
(i)any regulated rail vehicle, or
(ii)any regulated rail vehicle that is specified or is of a specified description.”.
(4) In the 1995 Act, after section 67 insert—
(1) Before the Department for Regional Development decides which of the Assembly procedures available under section 67(4B) is to be adopted in connection with the making of any particular order under section 47(1), it must consult such persons as it thinks appropriate.
(2) An order under section 47(1) may be made without a draft of the order having been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, the Assembly only if—
(a)regulations under subsection (3) are in force; and
(b)the making of the order without such laying and approval is in accordance with the regulations
(3) Regulations may set out the basis on which the Department for Regional Development, when it comes to make an order under section 47(1), will decide which of the Assembly procedures available under section 67(4B) is to be adopted in connection with the making of the order.
(4) Before making regulations under subsection (3), the Department for Regional Development must consult such persons as it considers appropriate.
(1) The Department for Regional Development must after each 31st December prepare, in respect of the year that ended with that day, a report on—
(a)the exercise in that year of the power to make orders under section 47(1); and
(b)the exercise in that year of the discretion under section 67(4B).
(2) A report under subsection (1) must (in particular) contain—
(a)details of each order made under section 47(1) in the year in respect of which the report is made; and
(b)details of consultation carried out under sections 47(3) and 67A(1) in connection with orders made in that year under section 47(1).
(3) The Department for Regional Development must lay before the Assembly each report that it prepares under this section.”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Latest with prospective:Latest with prospective is the latest available (revised) version of the legislation but includes the prospective versions of individual provisions where they exist. This point in time view of the legislation becomes available after clicking a prospective version of a provision via Advanced Features > Show Timeline of Changes.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
This timeline shows the different points in time where a change occurred. The dates will coincide with the earliest date on which the change (e.g an insertion, a repeal or a substitution) that was applied came into force. The first date in the timeline will usually be the earliest date when the provision came into force. In some cases the first date is 01/02/1991 (or for Northern Ireland legislation 01/01/2006). This date is our basedate. No versions before this date are available. For further information see the Editorial Practice Guide and Glossary under Help.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: