- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made).
18.—(1) Schedule 1 to the 1995 Act (which supplements the definition of “disability” in section 1 of that Act) shall have effect with the following amendments.
(2) Paragraph 1(1) (mental illness must be clinically well-recognised if it is to be basis of “mental impairment”) is omitted.
(3) Before paragraph 7 (persons deemed to be disabled) insert—
“6A.—(1) Subject to sub-paragraph (2), a person who has cancer, HIV infection or multiple sclerosis is to be deemed to have a disability, and hence to be a disabled person.
(2) Regulations may provide for sub-paragraph (1) not to apply in the case of a person who has cancer if he has cancer of a prescribed description.
(3) A description of cancer prescribed under sub-paragraph (2) may (in particular) be framed by reference to consequences for a person of his having it.”.
(4) In paragraph 7, after sub-paragraph (5) insert—
“(5A) The generality of sub-paragraph (5) shall not be taken to be prejudiced by the other provisions of this Schedule.”.
(5) At the end insert—
9. In this Schedule, “HIV infection” means infection by a virus capable of causing the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: