- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
9. In Article 9 of the Life Sentences (Northern Ireland) Order 2001 (NI 2) (recall of life prisoner on licence) after paragraph (5) insert—
“(5A) The Commissioners shall not give a direction under paragraph (5) unless they are satisfied that it is no longer necessary for the protection of the public from serious harm that the prisoner should be confined.” .
10.—(1) The bodies appointed—
(a)under section 10 of the Prison Act (Northern Ireland) 1953 (c. 18) (boards of visitors for prisons); and
(b)under section 3 of the Treatment of Offenders Act (Northern Ireland) 1968 (c. 29) (visiting committees for young offenders centres and remand centres)
are renamed as independent monitoring boards.
11. Section 13(6) of the Prison Act (Northern Ireland) 1953 (c.18) (prison rules to prohibit application of painful tests on prisoners except with permission of board of visitors) is repealed.
12. In section 7(1)(b) of the Treatment of Offenders Act (Northern Ireland) 1968 (c.29) (power of Secretary of State to transfer offender following report by visiting committee) for the words “that person is reported by a visiting committee to the Minister to be incorrigible, or to be” substitute “ it appears to the Secretary of State that that person is incorrigible or is ”.
13. In Article 25 (2) of the Access to Justice (Northern Ireland) Order 2003 (NI 10) (right to representation) after sub-paragraph (g) insert—
“(h)proceedings under Part XIIIA of the Prison and Young Offenders Centre Rules (Northern Ireland) 1995 (No. 8).” .
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: