- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
1. (1) This Order may be cited as the Special Educational Needs and Disability (Northern Ireland) Order 2005.
(2) The following provisions of this Order come into operation on such day or days as the Department of Education may appoint F1by order—
(a)Part II, together with Schedule 1;
(b)Chapter I of Part III, together with Part I of Schedule 2;
(c)Chapter III of Part III;
(d)Articles 43 to 48, so far as relating to Chapters I and III of Part III;
(e)Article 50(1), together with Schedule 5;
(f)Article 50(2), together with Schedule 6, except so far as relating to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (c.50).
(3) The following provisions of this Order come into operation on such day or days as the Department for Employment and Learning may appoint by order—
(a)Chapter II of Part III, together with Part II of Schedule 2 and Schedule 3;
(b)Articles 43 to 48, so far as relating to Chapter II of Part III; and
(c)Article 50(2), together with Schedule 6, so far as relating to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (c.50).
(4) An order bringing into operation any provision of Article 30 may, in particular, include provision for the duty imposed by Article 30(1) to have effect with such modifications as may be specified in the order for a period which ends—
(a)on a date so specified; or
(b)on the making by the Department for Employment and Learning of an order bringing the period to an end.
Annotations are used to give authority for changes and other effects on the legislation you are viewing and to convey editorial information. They appear at the foot of the relevant provision or under the associated heading. Annotations are categorised by annotation type, such as F-notes for textual amendments and I-notes for commencement information (a full list can be found in the Editorial Practice Guide). Each annotation is identified by a sequential reference number. For F-notes, M-notes and X-notes, the number also appears in bold superscript at the relevant location in the text. All annotations contain links to the affecting legislation.
2. (1) The Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 (c.33) applies to this Order as it applies to an Act of the Assembly.
(2) In this Order—
“act” includes deliberate omission;
“employment” has the same meaning as in the 1995 Act, and related expressions shall be construed accordingly;
“Minister of the Crown” includes the Treasury;
“premises” includes land of any kind;
“statutory provision” has the meaning given by section 1(f) of the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 (c.33);
“the 1986 Order” means the Education and Libraries (Northern Ireland) Order 1986 (NI 3);
“the 1995 Act” means the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (c. 50);
“the 1996 Order” means the Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1996 (NI 1).
(3) Section 1 of, and Schedule 1 to, the 1995 Act and any regulations thereunder (meaning of “disability” and “disabled person”) apply for the purposes of this Order as they apply for the purposes of that Act.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: