- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Access to Justice (Northern Ireland) Order 2003. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
Whole provisions yet to be inserted into this Order (including any effects on those provisions):
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
Commencement Orders bringing provisions within this Order into force:
Commencement Orders bringing legislation that affects this Order into force:
14.—(1) The services which the Commission may fund as civil legal services are those which the Commission considers appropriate (subject to Article 12(5) and the priorities set under Article 12(1)).
(2) Any decision as to whether to fund civil legal services for an individual shall—
(a)in the case of representation, be taken—
(i)by the Commission, or
(ii)in prescribed circumstances, by such person as may be prescribed;
(b)in the case of advice and assistance, be taken by the person from whom the advice or assistance is sought.
(3) The grant of representation for the purposes of proceedings includes any such advice and assistance as to an appeal—
(a)as may be specified by the Commission, or
(b)as may be prescribed in relation to representation granted by virtue of paragrah (2)(a)(ii).
(4) The Commission may fund representation for an individual for a limited period, for the purposes of specified proceedings only, or for the purposes of limited aspects of proceedings, and may amend, withdraw or revoke the representation, or vary or remove any limitation imposed on the representation.
(5) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (4), the grant of representation may be limited under that paragraph as regards the persons who may represent the individual to representation only in pursuance of a contract made with the Commission.
(6) Regulations may—
(a)prohibit the giving of advice or assistance without the approval of the Commission to the extent that the costs of giving it exceed such limit as may be prescribed;
(b)prohibit the funding of advice or assistance by the Commission except where it is provided by a person in pursuance of a contract made with the Commission.
(7) No decision may be taken under this Article to fund advice and assistance for an individual in connection with any proceedings at a time when he has been granted a right to representation in respect of those proceedings under any provision of this Part (but this does not affect paragraph (3) or any assistance included in representation).
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: