- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
133. For Article 38A of the Order of 1983 (right to carry out repairs) there shall be substituted—
38A.—(1) The Executive shall prepare and submit to the Department a scheme for entitling secure tenants of the Executive to have qualifying repairs carried out, at the Executive's expense, to the dwelling-houses of which they are secure tenants.
(2) A scheme submitted under paragraph (1) may contain such provision as the Executive thinks appropriate and, without prejudice to the foregoing, shall include provision with respect to—
(a)the period of time within which the repairs must be carried out;
(b)the payment of sums to tenants by way of compensation where the repairs are not carried out within the period of time specified in the scheme;
(c)the method by which sums of compensation payable under the scheme are to be calculated; and
(d)the circumstances in which the Executive may set off against any compensation payable under the scheme any sums owed to it by the tenant to whom compensation is payable.
(3) The Department may approve a scheme submitted under paragraph (1) with or without modifications.
(4) The Executive shall comply with a scheme approved by the Department under paragraph (3).
(5) The Executive may at any time, and if the Department so directs shall, submit to the Department proposals amending a scheme approved under paragraph (3) or a scheme replacing any such scheme; and paragraphs (3) and (4) shall have effect in relation to those proposals or a scheme replacing an existing scheme as they have effect in relation to a scheme.
(6) Any question arising under a scheme approved under paragraph (3) may be referred to and determined by the county court.
(7) In this Article—
“qualifying repair”, in relation to a dwelling-house, means any repair of a description specified in a scheme approved under paragraph (3) which the Executive is obliged by a repairing covenant to carry out;
“repairing covenant”, in relation to a dwelling-house, means a covenant (whether express or implied) obliging the Executive to keep in repair the dwelling-house or any part of the dwelling-house.”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: