- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Road Traffic (Driving Disqualifications) (Northern Ireland) Order 2003. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
4. (1) After Article 19E of the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981 (NI 1) there shall be inserted—
19F. (1) The Department may issue to any Great Britain licence holder who—
(a)has delivered his Great Britain licence to the Department, and
(b)has provided the Department with the information specified in, or required under, paragraph (3) (whether or not in pursuance of this Article),
a document (referred to in this Part in relation to a Great Britain licence as a “counterpart”).
(2) The counterpart must—
(a)be in such form, and
(b)contain such information,
designed for the endorsement of particulars relating to the Great Britain licence as the Department may determine.
(3) The information referred to in paragraph (1) is—
(a)the name and address (whether in Northern Ireland or Great Britain) of the Great Britain licence holder;
(b)his date of birth;
(c)the classes of vehicle which he is authorised by his Great Britain licence to drive;
(d)the period of validity of the licence;
(e)whether it was granted in exchange for a licence issued by a state other than an EEA State; and
(f)such other information as the Department may require for the purposes of the proper exercise of any of its functions under this Part or Part V.
(4) The Department—
(a)may endorse a Great Britain licence delivered to it (whether or not in pursuance of this Article) in such manner as it may determine—
(i)with any part of the information specified in, or required under, paragraph (3); or
(ii)with information providing a means of ascertaining that information or any part of it; and
(b)must return the Great Britain licence to the holder.
(5) Paragraphs (6) to (9), (11) (with the omission of sub-paragraph (a)) and (12) of Article 15B apply for the purposes of this Article as if the references to a Community licence were references to a Great Britain licence.”.
(2) After Article 92 of the Road Traffic Offenders (Northern Ireland) Order 1996 (NI 10) there shall be inserted—
92ZA. (1) The references to a licence in the following provisions of this Order include references to a Great Britain licence—
(b)Article 28(4) and (5) and (6)(b),
(j)Article 52(2) and (3),
(2) Accordingly, the reference in Article 29(2)(b) to the suspension of a licence is to be construed in relation to a Great Britain licence holder as a reference to his ceasing to be authorised by virtue of Article 19E(1) of the Order of 1981 to drive in Northern Ireland a motor vehicle of any class.
(3) The references in Articles 28(6)(a) and 29(2) to a new licence include references to a counterpart of a Great Britain licence.
(4) In relation to a Great Britain licence holder to whom a counterpart is issued under Article 19F of the Order of 1981, the references in Part IV of this Order to a licence include references to a Great Britain licence.
(5) Where a court orders the endorsement of the counterpart of any Great Britain licence held by a person, it must send notice of the endorsement to the Department.
(6) The notice must—
(a)be sent in such manner and to such address, and
(b)contain such particulars,
as the Department may determine.
(7) Where a court orders the holder of a Great Britain licence to be disqualified, it must send the Great Britain licence and its counterpart (if any), on their being produced to the court, to the Department.
(8) The licence and its counterpart must be sent to such address as the Department may determine.
(a)a notice is sent to the Department under paragraph (5), and
(b)the particulars contained in the notice include—
(i)particulars of an offence in respect of which the holder of a Great Britain licence is disqualified by an order of a court, and
(ii)particulars of the disqualification,
the Department must send a notice containing the particulars mentioned in sub-paragraph (b)(i) and (ii) to the licensing authority in Great Britain.
92ZB. Article 92B applies in relation to Great Britain licences as it applies in relation to Community licences.”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: