- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
6.—(1) For the purpose of maintaining and improving the quality of any waters the Department may establish the water quality objectives for any waters which are, or are included in, waters of a description prescribed in regulations for the purposes of Article 5, by publishing in one or more newspapers circulating in the area to which the description of the waters relates, a notice specifying—
(a)one or more of the classifications for the time being prescribed under Article 5; and
(b)in relation to each specified classification, a date.
(2) The water quality objectives for any waters to which a notice under this Article relates shall be the satisfaction by those waters, on and at all times after each date specified in the notice, of the requirements which at the time of the notice were the requirements for the classification in relation to which that date is so specified.
(3) Where the Department has established water quality objectives under this Article for any waters the Department may review objectives for those waters if 5 years or more have elapsed since the publication of the last notice under paragraph (1) or (6) to be published in respect of those waters and the Department shall not establish objectives for any waters by varying the existing objectives for those waters except in consequence of such a review.
(4) Where the Department proposes to establish or vary the objectives for any waters the Department shall—
(a)give notice setting out the proposal and specifying the period (not being less than 3 months from the date of publication of the notice) within which representations with respect to the proposal may be made; and
(b)consider any representations which are duly made and not withdrawn;
and, if the Department decides, after considering any such representations, to establish or vary those objectives, the Department may do so either in accordance with the proposal contained in the notice or in accordance with that proposal as modified in such manner as the Department considers appropriate.
(5) A notice under paragraph (4) shall be given by publishing the notice in such manner as the Department considers appropriate for bringing it to the attention of persons likely to be affected by it.
(6) If, on a review under this Article or in consequence of any representations made following such a review for the purposes of paragraph (4), the Department decides that the water quality objectives for any waters should remain unchanged, the Department shall publish notice of that decision and serve a copy of that notice on any person who made such representations.
(7) Where a person who has made representations following a review for the purposes of paragraph (4) is not satisfied with the decision of the Department under paragraph (6), he may appeal to the Appeals Commission within 28 days from the date on which notice of the decision is served on him.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: