Exercise of functions of a departmentN.I.
4. (1) The functions of a department shall at all times be exercised subject to the direction and control of the Minister.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), the Minister may in pursuance of that paragraph—
(a)distribute the business of a department among the officers of the department in such manner as he thinks fit;
(b)by Minute laid before the Assembly assign any specified functions of the department to such officers of the department as he may determine under such designation as he may determine.
(3) Subject to the provisions of this Order, any functions of a department may be exercised by—
(a)the Minister; or
(b)a senior officer of the department.
(4) Subject to paragraph (5), in carrying out its functions a department shall adopt and use the name and seal of the department.
(5) The Minister may authorise the use of a special designation by any officers to whom any functions have been assigned under paragraph (2)(b).
(6) Nothing in this Order affects the operation of any statutory provision or rule of law which authorises or requires any functions of a department to be exercised in a particular manner or by particular persons.