- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
18th March 1998
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Financial Provisions (Northern Ireland) Order 1998.
(2) This Order shall come into operation on 31st March 1998.
2.—(1) The [1954 c. 33 (N.I.).] Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 shall apply to Article 1 and the following provisions of this Order as it applies to a Measure of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
(2) In this Order—
“the Act of 1950” means the [1950 c. 3 (N.I.).] Exchequer and Financial Provisions Act (Northern Ireland) 1950;
“the Comptroller and Auditor General” means the Comptroller and Auditor General for Northern Ireland;
“the Department” means the Department of Finance and Personnel;
“statutory provision” has the meaning assigned to it by section 1(f) of the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954.
3. In section 2 of the Act of 1950 (annual accounts of public income and expenditure and of other receipts and payments)—
(a)in subsection (1) for the words “within forty-five days” there shall be substituted the words “ on or before 30th June next ”; and
(b)in subsection (2) for the words “within three months” there shall be substituted the words “ on or before 30th September next ”.
4. Para. (1) rep. by 2001 c. 6 (NI)
(2) Section 36 of the Act of 1950 (which makes provision for the preparation and audit of Capital Accounts) shall cease to have effect.
5.—(1) The Civil Contingencies Fund shall cease to exist and all its assets and liabilities shall be transferred to the Consolidated Fund.
(2) Sections 22 to 24 of the Act of 1950 (which make provision relating to the Civil Contingencies Fund) shall cease to have effect.
6.—(1) The Department may make advances from the Consolidated Fund—
(a)in respect of urgent services in anticipation of the provision made or to be made out of moneys appropriated by Measure becoming available;
(b)in anticipation of the realisation of receipts in connection with any services for which provision is so made or to be made; or
(c)to any department of the Government of Northern Ireland for the provision of working cash balances in connection with any services.
(2) The sums issued out of the Consolidated Fund under paragraph (1) and remaining unrepaid to the Consolidated Fund at any time shall not exceed an amount equal to 2 per cent. of the authorised supply expenditure for the previous financial year.
(3) In paragraph (2) “authorised supply expenditure” means, in relation to any financial year, the total of the sums which Measures enacted before the end of that year have authorised the Department to issue out of the Consolidated Fund and apply towards making good the supply granted to Her Majesty for the service of that year.
Art. 7 rep. by 1998 c. 47
8. Nothing in this Order applies in relation to accounts for the financial year ending on 31st March 1998.
Schedule — Repeals
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: