- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
The Fair Employment and Treatment (Northern Ireland) Order 1998, Cross Heading: Review of recruitment, training and promotion practices is up to date with all changes known to be in force on or before 23 October 2016. There are changes that may be brought into force at a future date. Changes that have been made appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
55.—(1) In the case of each registered concern, the employer shall from time to time review the composition of those employed in and ceasing to be employed in the concern in Northern Ireland and the employment practices of the concern for the purposes of determining whether members of each community are enjoying, and are likely to continue to enjoy, fair participation in employment in the concern.
(2) In a case where it appears to the employer in the course of the review that members of a particular community are not enjoying, or are not likely to continue to enjoy, such participation, he shall as part of the review determine the affirmative action (if any) which would be reasonable and appropriate.
(3) In a case where the employer determines in the course of the review that affirmative action would be reasonable and appropriate he shall as part of the review—
(a)consider whether, assuming the action is taken, it is practicable to determine, by reference to one or more periods, the progress towards fair participation in employment in the concern that can reasonably be expected to be made by members of a particular community; and
(b)if he considers that it is practicable to determine such progress, determine the period or periods concerned and, in respect of each period, the progress that, in his opinion, can reasonably be expected to be made towards fair participation by members of the community concerned—
(i)in employment in the concern in Northern Ireland or among those whose employment in the concern there begins after the determination; or
(ii)among applicants to fill vacancies for employment in the concern there.
(4) A review under this Article shall be carried out not more than 3 years after the date on which the description of the concern is entered, or treated by virtue of Article 51 as entered, in the register and subsequent reviews at intervals of not more than 3 years.
(5) In carrying out a review under this Article the employer shall have regard to the code of practice maintained under Article 9(1) and the Commission shall, if requested to do so by the employer, give advice as to the manner in which a review under this Article should be carried out.
(6) In this Part—
(a)references to a review are to a review under this Article; and
(b)“employment practice”, in relation to a concern, means a practice affecting recruitment or training for employment in the concern or training, promotion or redundancy of employees in the concern.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: