- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made).
98. In the Race Relations (Northern Ireland) Order 1997—
(a)for Article 41 (acts safeguarding national security) there shall be substituted—
41. No act done by any person shall be treated for the purposes of any provision of Parts II to IV as unlawfully discriminating if—
(a)the act is done for the purpose of safeguarding national security or protecting public safety or public order; and
(b)the doing of that act is justified by that purpose.
41A. (1) This Article applies where in any proceedings—
(a)a person claims that an act discriminated against him in contravention of any provision of Parts II to IV; and
(b)the person against whom the claim is made proposes to rely on a certificate purporting to be signed by or on behalf of the Secretary of State and certifying—
(i)that an act specified in the certificate was done for the purpose of safeguarding national security or protecting public safety or public order; and
(ii)that the doing of the act was justified by that purpose.
(2) The claimant may, in accordance with rules under section 91 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, appeal against the certificate to the tribunal established under that section.
(3) If on an appeal under paragraph (2) that tribunal determines—
(a)that the act specified in the certificate was done for the certified purpose; and
(b)that the doing of the act was justified by that purpose,
the tribunal shall uphold the certificate; in any other case, the tribunal shall quash the certificate.
(a)the claimant does not appeal against the certificate; or
(b)the certificate is upheld on appeal,
the certificate shall be conclusive evidence of the matters certified by it.
(5) Sections 91 and 92 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998 shall apply in relation to appeals under this Article as they apply in relation to appeals under section 90 of that Act.
(6) In this Article—
“claim” includes complaint; and
“claimant” includes complainant.”;
(b)in Article 66, paragraph (2)(b) and the word “or” immediately preceding it shall cease to have effect.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: