- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1998. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
1.—(1) Where a board has entered into a contract, the contract shall, if it is a certified contract, have effect (and be deemed always to have had effect) as if the board had had power to enter into it (and had exercised that power properly in entering into it).N.I.
(2) For the purposes of this Schedule a contract entered into by a board is a certified contract if (and, subject to sub-paragraphs (3) and (4), only if) the certification requirements have been satisfied by the board with respect to the contract and they were so satisfied before the end of the certification period.
(3) A contract entered into by a board shall be treated as a certified contract during the certification period if the contract provides that the certification requirements are intended to be satisfied by the board with respect to the contract before the end of that period.
(4) Where a board has entered into a contract which is a certified contract ( “the existing contract”) and the existing contract is replaced by a contract entered into by it with a person or persons not identical with the person or persons with whom it entered into the existing contract, the replacement contract is also a certified contract if—
(a)the period for which it operates or is intended to operate ends at the same time as the period for which the existing contract was to operate; and
(b)apart from that, its provisions are the same as those of the existing contract.
(5) Subject to sub-paragraph (6), in this Schedule “the certification period”, in relation to a contract entered into by a board, means the period of 6 weeks beginning with the day on which the board entered into the contract.
(6) In relation to a contract entered into before the day on which this paragraph comes into operation, “the certification period” means the period of 6 weeks beginning with that day.
(7) Sub-paragraph (1) is subject to paragraph 3 (special provisions about judicial reviews).
(8) The application of sub-paragraph (1) in relation to a contract entered into by a board does not affect any claim for damages made by a person who is not (and has never been) a party to the contract in respect of a breach by the board of any duty to do, or not to do, something before entering into the contract (including, in particular, any such duty imposed by a statutory provision for giving effect to any Community obligation relating to public procurement or by Article 20 of the [1993 NI 12.] Education and Libraries (Northern Ireland) Order 1993.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: