2. (1) The Council shall consist of a chairman and not fewer than 9 or more than 17 other members.
(2) The chairman and other members of the Council shall be appointed by the Head of the Department and shall be persons appearing to the Head of the Department to have knowledge or experience relevant to the functions of the Council.
(3) The Council may elect a deputy chairman from among its members.
(4) The Department may appoint two assessors to the Council who shall be entitled to receive notice of, and to attend and speak at, meetings of the Council and of committees and sub-committees thereof, but shall not be entitled to vote.
(5) Section 18(2) of the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 (except so much thereof as relates to remuneration) shall apply to the appointment of assessors under sub-paragraph (4).