- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made).
87.—(1) In the Education Orders “pupil referral unit” means a controlled or maintained school (other than a special school or a school established in a hospital) which—
(a)is specially organised to provide education for children to whom Article 86(1) applies; and
(b)is approved by the Department as a pupil referral unit.
(2) The Department may by regulations subject to affirmative resolution—
(a)provide for any statutory provision relating to grant-aided schools (or to a class or description of grant-aided schools)—
(i)not to apply in relation to pupil referral units; or
(ii)to apply in relation to such units with such modifications as may be prescribed; and
(b)make such other provision in relation to pupil referral units or pupils attending such units as it thinks necessary or appropriate.
(3) A board may, in the case of any child registered at a grant-aided school in its area, give a direction that, for such period as may be specified in the direction, suitable education shall be provided for the child at a pupil referral unit so specified.
(4) A board may at any time amend or revoke a direction under paragraph (3).
(5) Where a pupil referral unit is specified in a direction for the time being in force under paragraph (3), it shall be the duty of the managers of the unit to comply with the direction.
(6) Before giving, amending or revoking any direction under paragraph (3), a board shall consult—
(a)the parent of the child;
(b)the managers of the pupil referral unit specified (or to be specified) in the direction;
(c)if that unit is in the area of another board, the board for that area; and
(d)if that unit is a Catholic maintained school, the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools.
(7) In this Article “child” and “suitable education” have the same meanings as in Article 86.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: