- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1998. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
Whole provisions yet to be inserted into this Order (including any effects on those provisions):
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
60.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (12), in respect of any period during which any special school is not covered by a scheme, it shall be the duty of the board to make available a sum of money which the Board of Governors of the school is to be entitled to spend at its discretion during that period (but subject to paragraph (2)) on such heads of expenditure as the board may specify or as the Department may direct.
(2) A Board of Governors to which any sum is made available under this Article—
(a)shall comply in spending that sum with such reasonable conditions as the board thinks fit to impose; and
(b)may delegate to the principal, to such extent as it may specify, its powers in relation to that sum.
(3) The members of the Board of Governors of a school shall not incur any personal liability in respect of anything done in good faith in the exercise or purported exercise of any power under paragraph (2).
(4) Where a new special school is established and is not covered by a scheme, paragraph (1) shall not apply in relation to the school until such date as the Department may direct.
(5) Before specifying any heads of expenditure under paragraph (1), the board shall consult the Board of Governors of every special school appearing to it to be concerned and the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools and before giving any directions under paragraph (1), the Department shall consult all the boards, the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools and any other person with whom consultation appears to it to be desirable.
(6) Where it appears to a board that a Board of Governors to which any sum is made available under this Article—
(a)has been guilty of a substantial or persistent failure to comply with any conditions imposed on it under paragraph (2)(a); or
(b)is not managing the appropriation or expenditure of the sum in a satisfactory manner,
the board may suspend the Board of Governors' right under paragraph (1) to have a sum of money made available to it by giving the Board of Governors (subject to paragraph (8)) not less than one month's notice of suspension.
(7) A notice under paragraph (6) shall specify the grounds for the proposed suspension, giving particulars of any alleged failure on the part of the Board of Governors to comply with any conditions imposed on it under paragraph (2)(a) or of any alleged mismanagement on its part.
(8) A copy of the notice shall be given to—
(a)the principal of the school;
(b)the Department; and
(c)where the school is a Catholic maintained school, the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools,
at the same time as the notice is given to the Board of Governors.
(9) A board may suspend the right mentioned in paragraph (6) of any Board of Governors to which it has given notice under that paragraph before the expiry of the period of notice if it appears to the board to be necessary to do so by reason of gross incompetence or mismanagement on the part of the Board of Governors or other emergency.
(10) A board may withdraw a notice given under paragraph (6) at any time before the expiry of the period of notice.
(11) If the board exercises its power under paragraph (9) or (10), it shall immediately give written notification of its action and, in the case of action under paragraph (9), of the reasons for it to—
(a)the Board of Governors and principal of the school;
(b)the Department; and
(c)where the school is a Catholic maintained school, the Council for Catholic Maintained School.
(12) During any period when a Board of Governors' right mentioned in paragraph (6) is suspended under this Article, the duty of the board concerned under paragraph (1) shall not apply in relation to that Board of Governors.
(13) Articles 56 and 57 shall apply in relation to a suspension under this Article as they apply in relation to a suspension under Article 55.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: