- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Further Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1997. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
2. (1) The [1954 c. 33 (N.I.).] Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 shall apply to Article 1 and the following provisions of this Order as it applies to a Measure of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
(2) In this Order—
“facilities” includes land, goods and services;
“further education” has the meaning assigned by Article 3;
“higher education” means education provided by means of a course of any description mentioned in Schedule 1;
“institution of further education” means, subject to paragraph (3), an institution which is recognised as such by the Department under Article 8;
“liability” includes obligation;
“the transfer date” means the day appointed by the Department under Article 1(2);
“the 1986 Order” means the [1986 NI 3.] Education and Libraries (Northern Ireland) Order 1986;
“the 1989 Order” means the [1989 NI 20.] Education Reform (Northern Ireland) Order 1989.
(3) In relation to any time before the transfer date, references in this Order to an institution of further education are to an institution of further education managed by a board under Part VII of the 1989 Order.
(4) The Department may by order amend Schedule 1.
(5) Subject to paragraph (6), for the purposes of this Order a person has a “learning difficulty” if—
(a)he has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of persons of his age; or
(b)he has a disability which either prevents or hinders him from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided by institutions of further education for persons of his age.
(6) A person is not to be taken as having a learning difficulty solely because the language (or form of the language) in which he is, or will be, taught is different from a language (or form of a language) which has at any time been spoken in his home.
(7) Any direction, consent or determination given by the Department under this Order shall be in writing.
(8) References in this Order to the board for the area in which an institution or establishment is (or is to be) situated shall, in a case where parts of an institution or establishment are (or are to be) situated in the areas of two or more boards, be read as references to both or all of those boards.
(9) This Order shall be construed as one with the 1986 Order and accordingly Article 2(2) of the 1986 Order, in so far as it relates to the definition of words or expressions used in that Order and in this Order, shall apply for the purposes of this Order as it applies for the purposes of that Order.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: