- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Pensions (Northern Ireland) Order 1995. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
Whole provisions yet to be inserted into this Order (including any effects on those provisions):
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
Commencement Orders bringing legislation that affects this Order into force:
161. For section 170 of the Pension Schemes Act substitute—
170.—(1) For the purpose of meeting expenditure—
(a)under section 2,
(b)under Part X and section 169, or
(c)of the Regulatory Authority (including the establishment of the authority and, if the authority are appointed as Registrar under section 6 of the Pension Schemes Act 1993, their expenditure as Registrar),
regulations may make provision for imposing levies in respect of prescribed occupational or prescribed personal pension schemes.
(2) Any levy imposed under subsection (1) is payable to the Department by or on behalf of—
(a)the administrators of any prescribed public service pension scheme,
(b)the trustees or managers of any other prescribed occupational or prescribed personal pension scheme, or
(c)any other prescribed person,
at prescribed rates and at prescribed times.
(3) Regulations made by virtue of subsection (1)—
(a)in determining the amount of any levy in respect of the Regulatory Authority, must take account (among other things) of any amounts paid to the Department under section 164(4) or Article 10 of the Pensions (Northern Ireland) Order 1995, and
(b)in determining the amount of expenditure in respect of which any levy is to be imposed, may take one year with another and, accordingly, may have regard to expenditure estimated to be incurred in current or future periods and to actual expenditure incurred in previous periods (including periods ending before the coming into operation of this subsection).
(4) Regulations may make provision for imposing a levy in respect of prescribed occupational pension schemes for the purpose of meeting expenditure of the Pensions Compensation Board (including the establishment of the Board).
(5) Any levy imposed under subsection (4) is payable to the Board by or on behalf of—
(a)the trustees of any prescribed occupational pension scheme, or
(b)any other prescribed person,
at prescribed times and at a rate not exceeding the prescribed rate, determined by the Board.
(6) In determining the amount of expenditure in respect of which any levy under subsection (4) is to be imposed, the Board, and regulations made by virtue of subsection (5), may take one year with another and, accordingly, may have regard to expenditure estimated to be incurred in current or future periods and to actual expenditure incurred in previous periods (including periods ending before the coming into operation of this subsection).
(7) Notice of the rates determined by the Board under subsection (5) must be given to prescribed persons in the prescribed manner.
(8) An amount payable by a person on account of a levy imposed under this section shall be a debt due from him to the appropriate person, that is—
(a)if the levy is imposed under subsection (1), the Department, and
(b)if the levy is imposed under subsection (4), the Board,
and an amount so payable shall be recoverable by the appropriate person accordingly or, if the appropriate person so determines, be recoverable by the Registrar on behalf of the appropriate person.
(9) Without prejudice to the generality of subsections (1) and (4), regulations under this section may include provision relating to—
(a)the collection and recovery of amounts payable by way of levy under this section, or
(b)the circumstances in which any such amount may be waived.”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: