- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1995. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
29.—(1) The Department may make regulations prescribing (by reference to shape, construction or any other quality) types of appliance of any description to which this Article applies as authorised for use by persons driving or riding (otherwise than in sidecars) on motor cycles of any class specified in the regulations.
(2) Regulations under this Article may impose restrictions or requirements with respect to the circumstances in which appliances of any type prescribed by the regulations may be used.
(3) If a person driving or riding on a motor cycle on a road uses an appliance of any description for which a type is prescribed under this Article and that appliance—
(a)is not of a type so prescribed, or
(b)is otherwise used in contravention of regulations under this Article,
he is guilty of an offence.
(4) If a person sells, or offers or exposes for sale, an appliance of any such description as authorised for use by persons on or in motor cycles, or motor cycles of any class, and that appliance is not of a type prescribed under this Article as authorised for such use, he is, subject to paragraph (5), guilty of an offence.
(5) A person shall not be convicted of an offence under this Article in respect of the sale, or offering or exposing for sale, of an appliance if he proves that it was sold or, as the case may be, offered or exposed for sale for export from Northern Ireland.
(6) The provisions of Schedule 1 shall have effect in relation to contravention of paragraph (4).
(7) This Article applies to appliances of any description designed or adapted for use—
(a)with any headgear, or
(b)by being attached to or placed upon the head,
(as, for example, eye protectors or earphones).
(8) References in this Article to selling or sale include references to letting on hire and references to offering or exposing for sale shall be construed accordingly.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: